School shootings are not and cannot be predictable

Four and a half months have now passed since the shootings at Virginia Tech, and eight years have gone by since Columbine. The former event is fading into history, and the latter is already there. Of course, there are and will be periodic calls for memorials, but the events themselves have already entered the history books and will not return unless prompted by another tragedy of equal ferocity. Fear is nascent now. The most visceral sorts of mistrust aroused by what we momentarily see as menace in each and every other human is gone, buried within our psyches. But it can return, and when another slaughter of our nation’s children is streamed through the televisions of Middle America, the fear will make itself known once again.

We try (and have tried) many methods to rid ourselves of that fear. A particular favorite, with regards specifically to the “school shootings,” is to commission a report detailing probable causes of the shooting. Whether those causes are related specifically to the disorders suffered by the shooter or to the environment in which the shooter was nurtured, the conclusion derived from them is always the same: “This tragedy could have been prevented if only step A was taken at time B with regards to person C.” Every shooting is labeled as something that was preventable and something that can be safeguarded against in the future.

This would indeed be a reassurance-and a productive way to stop the somewhat periodic killings that seem to occur in educational institutions today to boot-if it did not ignore the one constant among all of these events. All of the killings are. shootings. Those that died left this earth on the point of a bullet. If the killers had not clutched guns in their hands, there would have been no Columbine, no Paducah and no Virginia Tech.

Certainly it is true that there were other factors that contributed to these mass slayings, and perhaps those that want weapons badly enough would not be deterred from acquiring them by any legal measures, but is there any other way to reliably prevent that sort of violence? Each and every school shooting differs, so the precautions taken for one can not reliably be used in the event of another. As the state of Virginia’s report on the Virginia Tech shooting notes: “The panel researched reports of multiple shootings on campuses for the past 40 years, and no scenario was found in which the first murder was followed by a second elsewhere on campus.”

These events cannot be predicted. There is no way to prepare a campus or a school for those who will kill within it. The only reliable way to ensure that an occurrence like Virginia Tech’s is minimized is to take away the guns.

Andrew Hamner is a freshman majoring in journalism and may be contacted at a.hamner@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...