News Briefs

University of Miami ranked among the best for Hispanic students

Hispanic Business Magazine will publish a report this month ranking three University of Miami graduate schools in the top 10 list of U.S. schools for Hispanic students. This special annual edition on diversity ranks the 10 “Schools that Rule” in its article about the best graduate programs in law, engineering, medicine and business.

The School of Business Administration came in at number four, up from its position as number seven last year. Likewise, the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine increased its position, coming in at number three this year compared to last year’s position at fifth place. The School of Law retained its number two ranking, second only to the University of New Mexico School of Law.

The schools were ranked using various criteria including questionnaires, the number of Hispanic students and faculty, retention rates and student services.

Architecture students participating in Miami waterfront project

Every design studio and more than 300 architecture students will have coursework this fall directed toward designing a five-mile walkway or promenade that will stretch along the City of Miami’s public waterfront, city officials announced on Aug. 29.

“This is an exciting venture which will help our students understand the complexities of adding public space to existing urbanism,” said Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, dean of the School of Architecture, in a press release. “Not since Hurricane Andrew in 1992 has the School as a whole tackled a single issue like the Waterfront study. Our hope is to show our students the many ways the natural and built elements of a waterfront can improve the livability and beauty of a city.”

The project will take place in four phases. The first two involve the study of historical precedents, site reconnaissance, documentation and analysis. The third and fourth phases will involve the urban design of the promenade and detail design of other nearby sites.

The students’ work will be exhibited in the Architecture Center’s Gallery and a review of all students’ work will take place during the middle of the semester.
To help students with their designs, the school has invited several guest speakers experienced in waterfront projects to present their expertise.

The study culminates at the end of the semester. An exhibition is being planned for the spring semester, and will feature every studio’s large-scale waterfront drawings.

Etc.

Please visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com to see footage of the debate and watch parties. Video of student reactions will be posted in the next few days.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...