Miami volleyball gets in rhythm, claims three sweeps at Hurricane Invitational

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team couldn’t have asked for more at the Hurricane Invitational, held in Coral Gables, Fla. this weekend, as they swept every opponent.

The ‘Canes (6-3) now boast 12 straight wins, including four sweeps.

“It was an outstanding team effort,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We got keys plays from everybody and when we needed a spark, people came off the bench and [they]came to play.”

The Hurricanes’ first victim in the blowout was Loyola. Miami jumped out quick on Loyola and defeated them 30-23 in game one. Junior Bridget Bomhack delivered seven kills and sophomore Genny Mayhew contributed with seven digs.

In game two Miami started out flat, allowing Loyola to take an early lead, but the Hurricanes fought back to finish 30-25. Sophomore Cassie Loessberg led the comeback with her defensive skills, adding nine digs.

The teams battled back and forth in game three until Mayhew and Bomhack stepped up their offense. The duo accounted for nine of team’s 15 kills to surge the ‘Canes to another victory, 30-28.

Bomhack recorded a double with 14 kills and 14 digs.

This match was particularly important for Bomhack, whose sister is the head coach at Loyola.

“It was really fun to play against her. We are really competitive in our family,” said Bomhack. “We will never get to do this again but I’m really glad we beat them in three games. [Our team] played in a really good rhythm all night.”

The following day, the ‘Canes competed against Brown, displaying a relentless defense that allowed Miami to easily defeat Brown in game one, 30-15.

The momentum carried over to the game two, as the ‘Canes sailed to a 30-23 win after senior Ciara Michel capped the game with a defining kill.

The Hurricanes were dominant in game three winning, 30-23 and clenching their second sweep of the series.

Junior Ashley Woods was the only player who had double digit kills with 11. Gallagher added 35 assist and five serving aces. Michel showed great efficiency with eight kills and six total blocks.

The Hurricanes recorded 14 serving aces against Brown, setting a new school record.
That evening the ‘Canes took on the undefeated Delaware Blue Hens. Both teams brought high intensity into the game, but the Hurricanes crushed Delaware 30-28, 30-26 and 30-22 to claim their third sweep of the series.

Bomhack led the team with 14 kills and Mayhew finished with a double double of 13 kills and 10 digs. Lantagne Welch was pleased with the team work throughout the Invitational.

“Three sweeps is tough to do this day in age in volleyball. I’m really proud of how steady our team played, and how composed [we were],” said Lantagne Welch. “There were some tough tight spots. We stayed together and pulled out victories.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...