Women’s Soccer: Team snags win, tie opening weekened

The women’s soccer team began its season last weekend by recording a 1-1 double-overtime tie against Ole Miss and an 8-0 victory over Alabama A&M.

The (‘Canes 1-0-1) traveled to Oxford, Miss., playing two games in the span of three days. Their first game was played on Aug. 31 against Ole Miss (1-0-2). Miami presented a different look from last year right from the opening kickoff, as they started five new players, including four true freshmen.

Freshman Brittney Steinbruch made an immediate impact on her new team, scoring the game’s first goal in the 16th minute of play to give Miami the lead. The goal was answered 12 minutes later, as an Ole Miss shot was deflected off of a Miami defender into the net in the 28th minute to tie the score.

Although no goals were scored throughout the rest of the game, Miami did not fall to the draw without attempting numerous other scoring opportunities. At the end of 110 minutes of game play, Miami finished with 10 shots on goal, including two that hit the crossbar.

Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro was pleased with the effort her team displayed, despite them opening their season with a tie.

“We created a lot of scoring opportunities and improved as the game continued,” Taliaferro said. “But we have some things we will continue to work on.”

Whatever kinks Miami needed to work on seemed to be fixed by Sept. 2, when the Hurricanes took on Alabama A&M (0-3). Miami started the game aggressively with Steinbruch again scoring the first goal, this time in the ninth minute of play. Freshman Lauren Singer followed her goal with a score of her own only 24 seconds later, giving Miami an early 2-0 lead.

The scoring rush continued, with Miami clenching two more goals before halftime, gaining a 4-0 lead. The ‘Canes refused to let up in the second half, scoring four more goals to win by a score of 8-0.

The eight goals scored in the game were the most goals scored by a Miami women’s soccer team since the record-setting 10-0 win at Stetson on Oct. 27, 2001.

For Alabama A&M, the game was their second consecutive loss by a score of 8-0. They recorded only one shot attempt in the game.

Freshmen Steinbruch and Singer both recorded hat tricks in their second game as Hurricanes. Seniors Sheuneen Ta and Akilah Moore also scored a goal each.

“I’m pleased the freshmen have stepped up and are contributing this early in the season,” Taliaferro said. “Today, not only did we create a lot of scoring opportunities, we finished them.”

The Hurricanes will look to remain undefeated as they prepare to take on Samford today in Birmingham, Ala.

Joel Brown may be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

University of Miami’s new/old starting quarterback Malik Rosier thought his college football career ...

You know what the infamous N’Kosi Perry wads-o’-cash video brings to mind for me? The good old days. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday evening: ▪ Would you like a greater understanding of why ...

As the college football season continues toward the finish line, Bovada updated its odds on who can ...

More misfortune for the University of Miami football program. University of Miami freshman running b ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

Miami's offense has shown consistent improvement in practice and it is eager to shine on Friday ...

The University of Miami volleyball program closes out its homestand against instate rival Florida St ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami women's basketball placed fifth in the ACC Coaches' predicted order of finish, w ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up competition Tuesday at the ITA Southeast R ...