Women’s Soccer: Team snags win, tie opening weekened

The women’s soccer team began its season last weekend by recording a 1-1 double-overtime tie against Ole Miss and an 8-0 victory over Alabama A&M.

The (‘Canes 1-0-1) traveled to Oxford, Miss., playing two games in the span of three days. Their first game was played on Aug. 31 against Ole Miss (1-0-2). Miami presented a different look from last year right from the opening kickoff, as they started five new players, including four true freshmen.

Freshman Brittney Steinbruch made an immediate impact on her new team, scoring the game’s first goal in the 16th minute of play to give Miami the lead. The goal was answered 12 minutes later, as an Ole Miss shot was deflected off of a Miami defender into the net in the 28th minute to tie the score.

Although no goals were scored throughout the rest of the game, Miami did not fall to the draw without attempting numerous other scoring opportunities. At the end of 110 minutes of game play, Miami finished with 10 shots on goal, including two that hit the crossbar.

Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro was pleased with the effort her team displayed, despite them opening their season with a tie.

“We created a lot of scoring opportunities and improved as the game continued,” Taliaferro said. “But we have some things we will continue to work on.”

Whatever kinks Miami needed to work on seemed to be fixed by Sept. 2, when the Hurricanes took on Alabama A&M (0-3). Miami started the game aggressively with Steinbruch again scoring the first goal, this time in the ninth minute of play. Freshman Lauren Singer followed her goal with a score of her own only 24 seconds later, giving Miami an early 2-0 lead.

The scoring rush continued, with Miami clenching two more goals before halftime, gaining a 4-0 lead. The ‘Canes refused to let up in the second half, scoring four more goals to win by a score of 8-0.

The eight goals scored in the game were the most goals scored by a Miami women’s soccer team since the record-setting 10-0 win at Stetson on Oct. 27, 2001.

For Alabama A&M, the game was their second consecutive loss by a score of 8-0. They recorded only one shot attempt in the game.

Freshmen Steinbruch and Singer both recorded hat tricks in their second game as Hurricanes. Seniors Sheuneen Ta and Akilah Moore also scored a goal each.

“I’m pleased the freshmen have stepped up and are contributing this early in the season,” Taliaferro said. “Today, not only did we create a lot of scoring opportunities, we finished them.”

The Hurricanes will look to remain undefeated as they prepare to take on Samford today in Birmingham, Ala.

Joel Brown may be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...