Sports Briefs

Volleyball
‘Canes play tough in Milwaukee

The Hurricanes went 1-2 in the Marquette Tournament, displaying strength and endurance throughout. The Hurricanes were downed 3-2 by Marquette in the Hurricane’s first game and Texas-Arlington in the second game, but the bounced back to shutout Oakland 3-0 in their final game of the tournament.

Against Marquette, Miami had five players-Ciara Michel, Maria Andersson, Genny Meayhew, Ariell Cooke and Ashley Woods-with double digit kills, while Katie Gallagher and Bridget Bomhack had 28 and 25 assists, respectively. Still, this was not enough, as the ‘Canes had no answer for Marquette’s Kimberley Tood, who had 27 kills, and Katie Weidner, who had 50 assists.

In their game against Texas-Arlington, the ‘Canes once again had five players-Michel, Mayhew, Cooke, Woods and Bomhack-who recorded double digit kills, while Galagher and Bomhack had 47 and 27 assists, respectively. Additionally, Cassie Loessberg had 49 digs, but that was not enough for the Hurricanes, as Texas-Arlington outdid the Hurricanes behind their five-some of double digit kill recorders.

The ‘Canes showed resiliency, as they outdueled Oakland behind double digit kills from Woods and Bomhack. Additionally, Gallagher recorded 35 assists, while no Oakland players surpassed seven individual kills.

With the 1-2 tournament record, the Hurricanes moved to 4-3 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...