Sports Briefs

Volleyball
‘Canes play tough in Milwaukee

The Hurricanes went 1-2 in the Marquette Tournament, displaying strength and endurance throughout. The Hurricanes were downed 3-2 by Marquette in the Hurricane’s first game and Texas-Arlington in the second game, but the bounced back to shutout Oakland 3-0 in their final game of the tournament.

Against Marquette, Miami had five players-Ciara Michel, Maria Andersson, Genny Meayhew, Ariell Cooke and Ashley Woods-with double digit kills, while Katie Gallagher and Bridget Bomhack had 28 and 25 assists, respectively. Still, this was not enough, as the ‘Canes had no answer for Marquette’s Kimberley Tood, who had 27 kills, and Katie Weidner, who had 50 assists.

In their game against Texas-Arlington, the ‘Canes once again had five players-Michel, Mayhew, Cooke, Woods and Bomhack-who recorded double digit kills, while Galagher and Bomhack had 47 and 27 assists, respectively. Additionally, Cassie Loessberg had 49 digs, but that was not enough for the Hurricanes, as Texas-Arlington outdid the Hurricanes behind their five-some of double digit kill recorders.

The ‘Canes showed resiliency, as they outdueled Oakland behind double digit kills from Woods and Bomhack. Additionally, Gallagher recorded 35 assists, while no Oakland players surpassed seven individual kills.

With the 1-2 tournament record, the Hurricanes moved to 4-3 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...