Sports Briefs

Volleyball
‘Canes play tough in Milwaukee

The Hurricanes went 1-2 in the Marquette Tournament, displaying strength and endurance throughout. The Hurricanes were downed 3-2 by Marquette in the Hurricane’s first game and Texas-Arlington in the second game, but the bounced back to shutout Oakland 3-0 in their final game of the tournament.

Against Marquette, Miami had five players-Ciara Michel, Maria Andersson, Genny Meayhew, Ariell Cooke and Ashley Woods-with double digit kills, while Katie Gallagher and Bridget Bomhack had 28 and 25 assists, respectively. Still, this was not enough, as the ‘Canes had no answer for Marquette’s Kimberley Tood, who had 27 kills, and Katie Weidner, who had 50 assists.

In their game against Texas-Arlington, the ‘Canes once again had five players-Michel, Mayhew, Cooke, Woods and Bomhack-who recorded double digit kills, while Galagher and Bomhack had 47 and 27 assists, respectively. Additionally, Cassie Loessberg had 49 digs, but that was not enough for the Hurricanes, as Texas-Arlington outdid the Hurricanes behind their five-some of double digit kill recorders.

The ‘Canes showed resiliency, as they outdueled Oakland behind double digit kills from Woods and Bomhack. Additionally, Gallagher recorded 35 assists, while no Oakland players surpassed seven individual kills.

With the 1-2 tournament record, the Hurricanes moved to 4-3 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...