September is National Campus Safety Awareness Month

It’s easy to get so focused in the grind of your daily studies and life that your forget to review the basics of safety. Safety is, to a large extent, based on common sense and rational decisions; however, not all of it is. Take a few hours this month to focus on safety. To promote safety awareness and education, the UM Police Department will be enacting several initiatives throughout the month. Police personnel will be tabling throughout the campus to distribute a wealth of printed and verbal information on safety. RAD and SAFE women’s self-defense classes will be held to educate women in the community on awareness, risk reduction and practical physical self-defense techniques. A “Beer Goggles” Alcohol Education event will be hosted in conjunction with Pier 21 on Thursday, September 20th from 12noon to 2pm at the Rock. Safety presentations will be made to several Freshman University Experience (UMX) classes; if you are in a UMX class and interested in seeing a UMPD presentation, ask your professor to arrange for one. Motor vehicle speed enforcement will take place throughout campus as well. In addition, the University community is strongly encouraged to do a little self-study. Visit the “Publications and Brochures” section of the UM Police website and review a few brochures that catch your eye to learn about everything from personal safety to alcohol safety to credit card safety.

Further information on all these programs is available at www.miami.edu/police or by calling the UM Police Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...