September is National Campus Safety Awareness Month

It’s easy to get so focused in the grind of your daily studies and life that your forget to review the basics of safety. Safety is, to a large extent, based on common sense and rational decisions; however, not all of it is. Take a few hours this month to focus on safety. To promote safety awareness and education, the UM Police Department will be enacting several initiatives throughout the month. Police personnel will be tabling throughout the campus to distribute a wealth of printed and verbal information on safety. RAD and SAFE women’s self-defense classes will be held to educate women in the community on awareness, risk reduction and practical physical self-defense techniques. A “Beer Goggles” Alcohol Education event will be hosted in conjunction with Pier 21 on Thursday, September 20th from 12noon to 2pm at the Rock. Safety presentations will be made to several Freshman University Experience (UMX) classes; if you are in a UMX class and interested in seeing a UMPD presentation, ask your professor to arrange for one. Motor vehicle speed enforcement will take place throughout campus as well. In addition, the University community is strongly encouraged to do a little self-study. Visit the “Publications and Brochures” section of the UM Police website and review a few brochures that catch your eye to learn about everything from personal safety to alcohol safety to credit card safety.

Further information on all these programs is available at www.miami.edu/police or by calling the UM Police Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...