September is National Campus Safety Awareness Month

It’s easy to get so focused in the grind of your daily studies and life that your forget to review the basics of safety. Safety is, to a large extent, based on common sense and rational decisions; however, not all of it is. Take a few hours this month to focus on safety. To promote safety awareness and education, the UM Police Department will be enacting several initiatives throughout the month. Police personnel will be tabling throughout the campus to distribute a wealth of printed and verbal information on safety. RAD and SAFE women’s self-defense classes will be held to educate women in the community on awareness, risk reduction and practical physical self-defense techniques. A “Beer Goggles” Alcohol Education event will be hosted in conjunction with Pier 21 on Thursday, September 20th from 12noon to 2pm at the Rock. Safety presentations will be made to several Freshman University Experience (UMX) classes; if you are in a UMX class and interested in seeing a UMPD presentation, ask your professor to arrange for one. Motor vehicle speed enforcement will take place throughout campus as well. In addition, the University community is strongly encouraged to do a little self-study. Visit the “Publications and Brochures” section of the UM Police website and review a few brochures that catch your eye to learn about everything from personal safety to alcohol safety to credit card safety.

Further information on all these programs is available at www.miami.edu/police or by calling the UM Police Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...