Miami no match for No. 5 Oklahoma

POSTED SEPT. 8 AT 5:30 P.M.

The Hurricanes traveled to Norman, Okla. and faced the No. 5 Sooners in a disappointing blow-out, which came after offensive woes and numerous penalties.

Miami (1-1), led by Head Coach Randy Shannon, had its first real test of the season and fell short 51-13 at the hands of a seemingly unstoppable Oklahoma (2-0) team.

Starting quarterback Kirby Freeman operated an unsuccessful offense for most of the first half, and struggled to make connections with receivers. The strain on the run game and pressure from the Sooners’ defense forced Miami to settle for a field goal in the first quarter.

After backup Kyle Wright entered the game just before the half, Miami’s passing game seemed somewhat revived as he led the ‘Canes downfield. The Hurricanes looked prepared for a field goal on 4th-and-3 at the Oklahoma 8-yard line when holder David Strimple passed to junior Calais Campbell to secure the first down. At the hands of two Oklahoma penalties, the ‘Canes reached the end zone for their first and only touchdown of the day.

Despite two Oklahoma turnovers, a missed field goal and six penalties, the Sooners easily outmatched the Hurricanes.

Additional game coverage will be available Monday in the print edition of The Miami Hurricane.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

To read Senior Sports Writer Matthew Bunch’s live game blog, please visit: Bunch’s Big Blog.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...