Letter to the Editor

Dear Hurricane fans,

I come to you not as Student Government president or as a friend of President Shalala’s, but as a student, a senior and a fan of our football team.

The decision to move to Dolphin Stadium has been made. This is an inescapable given. To say things such as “.don’t buy a ticket that supports the dollar signs behind this act of treason against all those who love the U” is harmful. This statement is an insult-not to President Shalala or the Trustees-but to those closely aligned with our football team.

This statement hurts the Band of the Hour who spends hours a week preparing to support this football team. It hurts the student assistants who volunteer their time to facilitate practices. It hurts the cheerleaders and dancers who spend countless hours perfecting their routines.

Most of all, a statement similar to the aforesaid hurts this football team. It hurts the players who were out in the July sun working two-a-days preparing to annihilate our opponents while we were at home on our couches in the A/C.

It hurts the coaching staff and Randy Shannon who have dedicated their efforts to the football team’s success.
These hardworking people will still be at Dolphin Stadium regardless of their thoughts on the move and I urge my fellow students to do the same.

Our team’s sweat, blood and tears all become for naught if the people that propose boycott are taken seriously. Luckily, in reading through the responses on The Hurricane’s website, these people are not being taken seriously. This was evident at the Marshall game this past Saturday.

Close to 6,000 students were on hand to open the new season for the last time at the Orange Bowl. The excitement was palpable, not only in welcoming Randy Shannon, but also in celebrating the OB and what it means to people.

The sea of orange that filled the stadium echoed this celebratory sentiment. Our time with the OB is sadly ending, but it should be a celebration, not an elegy, of all of the fantastic moments we’ve had.

The bottom line is that we will see this football team through anything: victory, defeat, injuries, tragedy and the glory they are about to achieve. We can certainly see this football team through a stadium move and I know our students love this football team enough to do that.

Go ‘Canes!
Danny Carvajal

Danny Carvajal is a senior and the Student Government president.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...