How Barack Obama stole my heart

Barack Obama came to Miami two Saturdays ago and while everything was pretty much the same as any other political fundraiser, Barack stood out to me. I had heard about him and read about him but still hadn’t been convinced. I expected to hear the same old lines all politicians give.

I watched Barack as he made himself at home in the heart of Little Havana (where I never thought a black man from the North could settle himself so comfortably). While a handful of demonstrators attempted to create a ruckus outside, hundreds cheered for him inside.

And Barack delivered. He is as sure of himself as any other old-timer in politics. He is secure in his abilities and his motivations, and after hearing him speak, I began to feel secure in him, too.

He addressed every point and every criticism I have ever heard about him, refuting each brilliantly, humbly, confidently, assuring the crowd that he has experience and is the best candidate for the job. Sure, you may say I fell victim to an eloquent speaker, but something in my heart tells me that’s not all it was. I’ve heard amazing speakers before, even Bill Clinton last spring-and I love Bill Clinton. But even he didn’t effectively tug at my heartstrings in a way that made me believe and trust almost undoubtedly.

I understand that his contenders are strong. Hillary frightens me with her assuredness and ability. Barack is doing well for a fairly new senator, but he requires much more support from the Democratic Party. So, as much as he has won me over, I am worried about his chances. I believe that he need only speak of his goals, ambitions and dreams for this country in order for one to believe. However, I know that may not be enough to win him the presidency.

So I wish him the best of luck, because I think he is the best this country can get-an idealist, a dreamer who achieves, a man full of hope. He infused the crowd with feelings of opportunity, equality and liberty-it can be done, he said. I hope he is given the opportunity to do his work because I think he can deliver something that has been sorely lacking in politics. I’m an idealist and a dreamer and I choose not to let these feelings be torn down by cynicism and so-called realism. These are the motivations that make change. This is why I am choosing to support him. He is a politician who believes that a better world is not just an idealist’s dream, but a tangible possibility. I can’t wait to see what happens when someone with a great dream for change is actually given the opportunity to make it come true.

Bernardita “Beni” Yunis is a senior majoring in communication studies, international studies and religious studies. For the time being, she isn’t doing much but packing for her study abroad semester and eagerly awaiting your message at b.yunis@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...