Culture

CexCells, indeed, with new album

I was at first skeptical of Blaqk Audio’s CexCells. Granted, this skepticism lay mostly in the abilities of their spell check; however, from the first moments of the album, all skepticism was blown away by their undeniable vocal talents and shiver-provoking lyrics. With driving techno beats and a futuristic sound, CexCells makes a killer opening not only as a rockin’ dance album but also as a moody backdrop to a cup of java and contemplation.

Don’t let the singers’ chilling whispers and sweet voices fool you. These two delectable boys produced the impressive album themselves. Yep, they wrote their own songs. The piano melody in “Where would you like them left?” is nothing short of haunting and the captivating beat in “Cities of the Night” showcases their talents. The ‘could-be’ love songs of “Stiff Kittens” and Between Breaths” flaunt lyrical explosions of emotion. “On A Friday” toes the line between desire and anger, evoking emotions of confusion and uncertainty that afflict many college students.

In short, CexCells makes me want to flip on a strobe light, dance to “Again, again, and again,” and pretend I’m cool enough to do so. The album, though far from mainstream, has multiple elements to please the ear of a discerning listener. If you appreciate excellent lyrics, sick melodies and rare instrumental talent, give Blaqk Audio’s CexCells a listen. Chances are, you’ll relate to the chaos, disappointment, and cautious optimism that characterize this album. If not, just stick with those top-forty artificially-flavored confections.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...