Beyond horror’s death knell

Early on in “Halloween,” a doctor tells a young Michael Myers that black is not actually a color, but that it is the absence of color. It’s an apt interaction for the movie, which is devoid of meaning and purpose.

Instead of making an eighth sequel to John Carpenter’s iconic original, the “Halloween” franchise has gone down the well-trodden path of the remake. Director Rob Zombie’s effort tries to breathe new life into a worn-out premise at times, but eventually gives up and fizzles into a chaotic mess.

Zombie deserves some credit for giving insight into Michael’s childhood and his budding desire to kill. The remake’s first half shows the Myers’ family, which ends up being properly dysfunctional but painfully dull. Once this deviation concludes, the remake becomes a dead ringer of the original, sometimes using identical shots. However, because Zombie wastes an underdeveloped hour on how the killer came to be, Michael’s stalking of the babysitters feels like it’s being summarized in order to fit into a two-hour movie. Whereas Carpenter’s original hinged on mounting suspense and moody atmosphere, Zombie’s clumsy remake bludgeons the viewer without any regard for tone or the allure of what we can’t see.

The film’s rushed pace makes it almost like an action movie, and, because we get the CliffsNotes version of the story, Laurie Strode is relegated to a secondary character, taking away any hope for a protagonist.

Worst of all, “Halloween” is not scary. This film is yet another abysmal entry into what is being passed off as “horror” nowadays, and it signifies the death of a genre. So, in the big picture, it’s not just unpleasant to watch, it’s depressing.

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...