Assistant dean at School of Communication, 45

Last Wednesday, Jacqueline Gonzalez, assistant dean for finance and administration at the School of Communication, collapsed during a staff meeting and stopped breathing. After a few days in Doctor’s Hospital she failed to regain brain activity and was pronounced dead Sunday. She was 45.

Gonzalez, who worked at the university for 17 years, oversaw the financial management and records of the school, working closely with faculty and staff.

“She did have a very profound influence on the entire Comm School and because of her position she was known across the university,” said Dean Sam L Grogg.

Though there is some history of heart problems in her family, Gonzalez’s death was unexpected.

After her collapse, Grogg said a staff member called 911 immediately. Those present also searched for someone to perform CPR and found Leslie Foote, a senior who left class to provide assistance before the paramedics arrived.

Gonzalez is survived by her husband, Tom, a son and two daughters-one of which is a sophomore in the School of Business.

The wake will take place this evening from 7 to 10 p.m. at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Funeral Home at 8200 S.W. 40th Street. A Catholic Mass will take place on at 11:30 a.m. Friday at St. Timothy’s Catholic Church at 5400 S.W. 102nd Ave., followed by the burial at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Cemetery at 11655 S.W. 117th Ave.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...