Assistant dean at School of Communication, 45

Last Wednesday, Jacqueline Gonzalez, assistant dean for finance and administration at the School of Communication, collapsed during a staff meeting and stopped breathing. After a few days in Doctor’s Hospital she failed to regain brain activity and was pronounced dead Sunday. She was 45.

Gonzalez, who worked at the university for 17 years, oversaw the financial management and records of the school, working closely with faculty and staff.

“She did have a very profound influence on the entire Comm School and because of her position she was known across the university,” said Dean Sam L Grogg.

Though there is some history of heart problems in her family, Gonzalez’s death was unexpected.

After her collapse, Grogg said a staff member called 911 immediately. Those present also searched for someone to perform CPR and found Leslie Foote, a senior who left class to provide assistance before the paramedics arrived.

Gonzalez is survived by her husband, Tom, a son and two daughters-one of which is a sophomore in the School of Business.

The wake will take place this evening from 7 to 10 p.m. at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Funeral Home at 8200 S.W. 40th Street. A Catholic Mass will take place on at 11:30 a.m. Friday at St. Timothy’s Catholic Church at 5400 S.W. 102nd Ave., followed by the burial at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Cemetery at 11655 S.W. 117th Ave.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...