Assistant dean at School of Communication, 45

Last Wednesday, Jacqueline Gonzalez, assistant dean for finance and administration at the School of Communication, collapsed during a staff meeting and stopped breathing. After a few days in Doctor’s Hospital she failed to regain brain activity and was pronounced dead Sunday. She was 45.

Gonzalez, who worked at the university for 17 years, oversaw the financial management and records of the school, working closely with faculty and staff.

“She did have a very profound influence on the entire Comm School and because of her position she was known across the university,” said Dean Sam L Grogg.

Though there is some history of heart problems in her family, Gonzalez’s death was unexpected.

After her collapse, Grogg said a staff member called 911 immediately. Those present also searched for someone to perform CPR and found Leslie Foote, a senior who left class to provide assistance before the paramedics arrived.

Gonzalez is survived by her husband, Tom, a son and two daughters-one of which is a sophomore in the School of Business.

The wake will take place this evening from 7 to 10 p.m. at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Funeral Home at 8200 S.W. 40th Street. A Catholic Mass will take place on at 11:30 a.m. Friday at St. Timothy’s Catholic Church at 5400 S.W. 102nd Ave., followed by the burial at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Cemetery at 11655 S.W. 117th Ave.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...