STARTING LINE: The battle for positions

After a disappointing 7-6 season in 2006, the Hurricanes will attempt to rebound and build toward its first ACC title. Although Head Coach Randy Shannon announced his starters on Tuesday, many position battles will continue into the season.

Quarterback

The biggest position battle throughout preseason camp was at quarterback.
Junior Kirby Freeman was named the starter on Tuesday, beating out experienced senior
Kyle Wright.

Freeman was 2-2 as a starter last season and was credited with sparking the struggling offense in the final two games.
Freeman has more pocket awareness and is dangerous on his feet, which the Hurricanes have not had with Wright.

Freeman was very effective throwing the deep pass in preseason camp and needs to carry that over into the season. He must work on becoming an improved pocket passer and make better decisions, as he has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in his career.

Wright was 14-7 as a starter over two seasons and had a disappointing junior season, throwing eight touchdowns to seven interceptions.

Wright never defeated conference foes Florida State and Georgia Tech and failed to have a defining drive any the fourth quarter during his time as starter.
Wright must not let the decision hurt his psyche and should be prepared to relieve Freeman.

Offensive Line

This unit was arguably the weakest link in last season’s inept offense and will have to employ more strength up front or those same woes will continue.

Junior Chris Rutledge will attempt to overtake Reggie Youngblood at the tackle spot while freshman Orlando Franklin will continue to battle senior Andrew Bain for the starting spot at guard. Additionally, sophomore A.J. Trump will push for playing time at center with senior John Rochford.

Running Back

In the backfield, Miami will have a talented group of running backs on display.

After becoming the starting tailback midway through last season, sophomore Javarris James should have competition with freshman Graig Cooper, who had an impressive preseason camp. James may split carries with Cooper as the season progresses.

Junior Derron Thomas has a firm hold on third-string after an injury to senior Charlie Jones.

Receiver/Tight End

Miami’s receiving corps must perform well in order for the offense to turn the corner.

Senior wideout Lance Leggett and Darnell Jenkins need to play up to their potential, while sophomore Sam Shields must become more consistent from game-to-game.
Sophomore Ryan Hill should continue to improve after he transitioned to wide receiver a year ago.

For the first time this decade, the tight end position is up for grabs. Junior DajLeon Farr is the best blocker and will be utilized often at half back. Junior Chris Zellner and sophomore Richard Gordon must work on their technique in order to become reliable targets.

Defensive Line

Defensive ends Calais Campbell and Eric Moncur are lockdown starters while sophomore Courtney Harris will also be in the mix.

Senior Teraz McCray, a reliable defensive tackle, will be alongside a group of unproven but talented players, consisting of Dwayne Hendricks, Antonio Dixon or Josh Holmes.

Linebacker

After an injury to senior Glenn Cook, experienced senior Tavares Gooden will be counted on to have a productive season.
Junior linebackers Spencer Adkins and Eric Houston have done little in their careers, but will attempt to prove that they deserve playing time.

Secondary

The Hurricanes have questions coming into the season at the cornerback position.
Junior Randy Phillips should play well enough to secure a spot, while sixth-year senior Glenn Sharpe has had trouble staying healthy.

Freshman DeMarcus Van Dyke and junior Carlos Armour both had an impressive preseason camp and will be frontrunners to win the spot for good. Van Dyke, among a handful of other freshmen, may see significant playing time, according to Shannon.

Special Teams

On special teams, walk-on senior Francesco Zampogna must get off to a good start at place kicker or will be replaced. Redshirt freshman Matt Bosher will handle the punting duties while junior Daren Daly will kickoff.

The Hurricanes have yet to replace Devin Hester in the return game, but expect Cooper to step in and be productive because of his breakaway speed.

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...