Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Shields suspended for first game

Sophomore wide receiver Sam Shields was suspended for the season opener against Marshall this Saturday, Head Coach Randy Shannon told reporters Tuesday.

After committing a “violation of team policy,” Shields, thought to be amongst the best receivers on the team, was not featured on a depth chart.

“He’s upbeat and positive about it,” Shannon said. “Sam accepts his role.”

Junior Khalil Jones will take Shields’ spot against the Thundering Herd.

“In my head, I’m always a starter,” Jones said. “I’m prepared every day to go out there and give my all.”

Hurricanes wearing orange for opener
When Miami takes on Marshall Saturday, they will be wearing orange, and they’re hoping the fans that come out will do so too.
Building off a campaign started last year by fan Rory Ellis, the founder of theorangerevolution-canes.com–a movement asking fans to wear orange for the last game of the season against Boston College–the athletic department has now become involved, kicking off the “Wear Orange” campaign. There are discussions of more color coordination as the year progresses.

In Other News

Sebastian receives recognition
Sebastian the Ibis, the mascot of the University of Miami, is receiving high honors from two different outlets.

The staff of collegefootballnews.com recently conducted a poll, and placed Sebastian No. 14 amongst all college mascots.

“Sebastian the Ibis is a sometimes-bizarre, always-present mascot who’s found celebrating under the goalposts after every Miami extra point and field goal,” said Pete Fiutak of collegefootballnews.com. “Considering how good the teams were during the late-1980s and early 1990s, he got more air time than Madonna.”

Sebastian was also nominated for the Mascot Hall of Fame, an organization seeking “to honor great mascot performers, performance, and programs that have inspired tradition and positively affected their communities,” according to the group’s Web site.

To vote for Sebastian, visit www.mascothalloffame.com.

Compiled by Assitsant Sports Editor Matthew Bunch.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...