Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Shields suspended for first game

Sophomore wide receiver Sam Shields was suspended for the season opener against Marshall this Saturday, Head Coach Randy Shannon told reporters Tuesday.

After committing a “violation of team policy,” Shields, thought to be amongst the best receivers on the team, was not featured on a depth chart.

“He’s upbeat and positive about it,” Shannon said. “Sam accepts his role.”

Junior Khalil Jones will take Shields’ spot against the Thundering Herd.

“In my head, I’m always a starter,” Jones said. “I’m prepared every day to go out there and give my all.”

Hurricanes wearing orange for opener
When Miami takes on Marshall Saturday, they will be wearing orange, and they’re hoping the fans that come out will do so too.
Building off a campaign started last year by fan Rory Ellis, the founder of theorangerevolution-canes.com–a movement asking fans to wear orange for the last game of the season against Boston College–the athletic department has now become involved, kicking off the “Wear Orange” campaign. There are discussions of more color coordination as the year progresses.

In Other News

Sebastian receives recognition
Sebastian the Ibis, the mascot of the University of Miami, is receiving high honors from two different outlets.

The staff of collegefootballnews.com recently conducted a poll, and placed Sebastian No. 14 amongst all college mascots.

“Sebastian the Ibis is a sometimes-bizarre, always-present mascot who’s found celebrating under the goalposts after every Miami extra point and field goal,” said Pete Fiutak of collegefootballnews.com. “Considering how good the teams were during the late-1980s and early 1990s, he got more air time than Madonna.”

Sebastian was also nominated for the Mascot Hall of Fame, an organization seeking “to honor great mascot performers, performance, and programs that have inspired tradition and positively affected their communities,” according to the group’s Web site.

To vote for Sebastian, visit www.mascothalloffame.com.

Compiled by Assitsant Sports Editor Matthew Bunch.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...