Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Shields suspended for first game

Sophomore wide receiver Sam Shields was suspended for the season opener against Marshall this Saturday, Head Coach Randy Shannon told reporters Tuesday.

After committing a “violation of team policy,” Shields, thought to be amongst the best receivers on the team, was not featured on a depth chart.

“He’s upbeat and positive about it,” Shannon said. “Sam accepts his role.”

Junior Khalil Jones will take Shields’ spot against the Thundering Herd.

“In my head, I’m always a starter,” Jones said. “I’m prepared every day to go out there and give my all.”

Hurricanes wearing orange for opener
When Miami takes on Marshall Saturday, they will be wearing orange, and they’re hoping the fans that come out will do so too.
Building off a campaign started last year by fan Rory Ellis, the founder of theorangerevolution-canes.com–a movement asking fans to wear orange for the last game of the season against Boston College–the athletic department has now become involved, kicking off the “Wear Orange” campaign. There are discussions of more color coordination as the year progresses.

In Other News

Sebastian receives recognition
Sebastian the Ibis, the mascot of the University of Miami, is receiving high honors from two different outlets.

The staff of collegefootballnews.com recently conducted a poll, and placed Sebastian No. 14 amongst all college mascots.

“Sebastian the Ibis is a sometimes-bizarre, always-present mascot who’s found celebrating under the goalposts after every Miami extra point and field goal,” said Pete Fiutak of collegefootballnews.com. “Considering how good the teams were during the late-1980s and early 1990s, he got more air time than Madonna.”

Sebastian was also nominated for the Mascot Hall of Fame, an organization seeking “to honor great mascot performers, performance, and programs that have inspired tradition and positively affected their communities,” according to the group’s Web site.

To vote for Sebastian, visit www.mascothalloffame.com.

Compiled by Assitsant Sports Editor Matthew Bunch.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...