Shannon begins new era with old-school discipline

The Miami Hurricanes have traditionally been college football’s black sheep. In spite of their storied legacy and impact on the collegiate and professional ranks, the Hurricanes have long been cast in a negative light for behavior off the field.

Displeased with that perception, new Head Coach Randy Shannon wants to see the “Thug U” image change.

“I just want to make sure we’re very respectful in the public view,” Shannon said. “We’re going to make sure everything we do, everyone at the University of Miami can be proud of.”

Under former Head Coach Larry Coker, the media ripped the University of Miami for its sideline-clearing brawl in its game against Florida International University. The incident was predominately blamed on UM players and garnered nationwide attention that furthered the negative perception of Miami football players.

From the moment Shannon was named head coach, he instilled a strict brand of discipline to change how the public perceives the Hurricanes. This behavior revolution has in turn been a tool for a successful recruiting campaign.

Shannon’s new rules forbid players from owning weapons. Curfews are frequently imposed on players as a result of the coach’s belief that “nothing good happens after midnight.” He also prohibits team members from eating or wearing hats during meetings out of respect.

In addition, Shannon is placing a strong emphasis on academics and requires players with a GPA of 2.5 or lower to live on campus. Players caught skipping classes or workouts will not only see less playing time, they will be punished by running more than they would like.

“Discipline is important,” Shannon said. “If you want to win games, you can’t have distractions. I’m changing how we feel about ourselves.”

That change is rooted in accountability-accountability to the university and accountability to one another. It’s a change evident to All-American junior defensive end Calais Campbell.

“Coach Shannon gets everyone next to each other in drills, in the locker room, in meetings. He wants us together, looking out for each other, making sure we’re accountable for one another,” Campbell said. “He makes us smarter, wiser people.”

Those bonds of team unity, which have been absent in recent years, are just one more reason why standout high-schoolers still choose to play in Coral Gables, Fla. despite last season’s disappointing turnout.

For example, highly touted running back Graig Cooper, “the human highlight film” as he was referred to in high school, became a ‘Cane this year, after turning down offers from Oklahoma State, Tennessee and Mississippi. Cooper said he chose UM not for its legacy, but rather for the team chemistry Shannon champions. He will likely join a handful of other freshman who will see plenty of action this season.

“[The people here] were my family before I got here,” Cooper said. “When I got here, it was like I was already a part of the team.”

Similar to Cooper, elite high-school athletes have committed-verbally-to the University of Miami since Shannon took over the program, With so many thus far, experts predict the Hurricanes could be poised to make a championship run by 2009.

Shannon is no stranger to winning; he played on or coached three of Miami’s five championship teams. But he insists the price of victory is accountability.

Humility and hard work are Shannon’s formula for rebuilding the Hurricane football dynasty.

“We’re just going to make sure we meet our goal. And that’s to make sure each student athlete on this team is represented in the community well and that we win football games.”

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...