M.I.A. Brings the Bamboo Banga

The loud lady from London has released her highly anticipated album that will grab anyone and everyone’s attention with its dancehall and reggae infused anthems. On “Kala,” M.I.A. steps outside the box once again and adds a new flavor to her music that’s a fresh touch in a day and age where mimicking music conquers all. This lies in the cross genre that’s at play. The album offers an array of quirky sounds that will cause many to classify the album as electronic, a genre that seems to be taking over pop culture with the likes of Justice and MSTRKRFT. There’s not much of a difference between this new effort and her highly touted “Arular,” so previous fans will definitely not be let down. The opening track, “Bamboo Banga,” gives the listener a hint of what they’re getting into as she samples Indian music over the catchy chorus of “I’m big timer/I’m the bamboo banga.” On others like “XR2,” the sirens that raged on her previous hit “Bucky Done Gone” are used again, rivaling the track on both word play and beat. On this album M.I.A. uses clever rhymes over a bass-driven dancehall beat to deliver powerful songs that are sure to get listeners dancing in both hip-hop and indie dance clubs across the nation. Not to say that this album will be an all-out pop success-far from it. The sound is still more raw, gritty and just plain noisier than any music out right now.

Marcos Col

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...