Culture

Bone Thugs N’ Harmony Loyalty in the hip-hop game

The new release “Strength & Loyalty” from Bone Thugs N’ Harmony is something of a second-coming for the long-established rap group. The group has been on the tongues of hip-hop fans since their 1994 Grammy-nominated debut “Creepin on ah Come Up,” which was named by Source Magazine as one of the 100 Best Rap Albums. The group has endured their fair share of hard times, including solo attempts and dropping a member along their 13-year journey. However, after teaming with executive producer Swizz Beatz and Full Surface Records, the trio attempted to re-establish their position among the industry’s elite with “Strength & Loyalty.”

The single off the album is “I Tried,” an inspirational and catchy hit featuring the melodic hook-king Akon. The song discusses issues like race, relationships and broken dreams. The Jermaine Dupri-produced “Lil Love” features heavyweights Mariah Carey and Bow Wow, showing a softer side to Bone Thugs. “Streets” is a jumping and upbeat summer-style song produced by versatile producer will.i.am and features lyrical mastermind The Game. Finally, Akon appears on the final track off the album, “Never Forget Me,” where the trio urges its truest fans and even newest followers to keep the group alive in mind and soul. They mention the struggles they’ve endured, the envy they’ve seen and the strength they’ve maintained in an effort to become immortals in the hip-hop game. The album features truly phenomenal producers which makes the album phenomenal from a production aspect, but mediocre in lyricism and subject matter. Despite much anticipation, and even three or four high-quality tracks, the album fails to live up to the high expectations Bone Thugs N’ Harmony’s fans have come to expect.

Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at danbuyanovsky@yahoo.com.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...