Bone Thugs N’ Harmony Loyalty in the hip-hop game

The new release “Strength & Loyalty” from Bone Thugs N’ Harmony is something of a second-coming for the long-established rap group. The group has been on the tongues of hip-hop fans since their 1994 Grammy-nominated debut “Creepin on ah Come Up,” which was named by Source Magazine as one of the 100 Best Rap Albums. The group has endured their fair share of hard times, including solo attempts and dropping a member along their 13-year journey. However, after teaming with executive producer Swizz Beatz and Full Surface Records, the trio attempted to re-establish their position among the industry’s elite with “Strength & Loyalty.”

The single off the album is “I Tried,” an inspirational and catchy hit featuring the melodic hook-king Akon. The song discusses issues like race, relationships and broken dreams. The Jermaine Dupri-produced “Lil Love” features heavyweights Mariah Carey and Bow Wow, showing a softer side to Bone Thugs. “Streets” is a jumping and upbeat summer-style song produced by versatile producer will.i.am and features lyrical mastermind The Game. Finally, Akon appears on the final track off the album, “Never Forget Me,” where the trio urges its truest fans and even newest followers to keep the group alive in mind and soul. They mention the struggles they’ve endured, the envy they’ve seen and the strength they’ve maintained in an effort to become immortals in the hip-hop game. The album features truly phenomenal producers which makes the album phenomenal from a production aspect, but mediocre in lyricism and subject matter. Despite much anticipation, and even three or four high-quality tracks, the album fails to live up to the high expectations Bone Thugs N’ Harmony’s fans have come to expect.

Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at danbuyanovsky@yahoo.com.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...