UM, Univision to host Democratic forum at BankUnited Center

On Sep. 9 the University of Miami will host the first presidential candidate forum designed specifically for Hispanic Americans.
Univision Communications Inc., the nation’s leading Spanish language media company, will broadcast the event during primetime using simultaneous Spanish translation. Maria Elena Salinas and Jorge Ramos, both award-winning Univision news anchors, will moderate the forum.

The Hispanic community is the fastest growing segment of the electorate, and currently 27 million Hispanics are eligible to vote. The candidates will focus on issues that are relevant to this demographic.

Early ticket distribution for the forum will begin on Aug. 29 at the information desk in the University Center. Tickets are required and are available on a first-come, first-served basis from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students must present their ‘Cane Cards at the desk.

UM also plans to host a republican candidate forum on Sep. 16. Additional information will be available in the coming weeks.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...