UM, Univision to host Democratic forum at BankUnited Center

On Sep. 9 the University of Miami will host the first presidential candidate forum designed specifically for Hispanic Americans.
Univision Communications Inc., the nation’s leading Spanish language media company, will broadcast the event during primetime using simultaneous Spanish translation. Maria Elena Salinas and Jorge Ramos, both award-winning Univision news anchors, will moderate the forum.

The Hispanic community is the fastest growing segment of the electorate, and currently 27 million Hispanics are eligible to vote. The candidates will focus on issues that are relevant to this demographic.

Early ticket distribution for the forum will begin on Aug. 29 at the information desk in the University Center. Tickets are required and are available on a first-come, first-served basis from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students must present their ‘Cane Cards at the desk.

UM also plans to host a republican candidate forum on Sep. 16. Additional information will be available in the coming weeks.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...