UM, Univision to host Democratic forum at BankUnited Center

On Sep. 9 the University of Miami will host the first presidential candidate forum designed specifically for Hispanic Americans.
Univision Communications Inc., the nation’s leading Spanish language media company, will broadcast the event during primetime using simultaneous Spanish translation. Maria Elena Salinas and Jorge Ramos, both award-winning Univision news anchors, will moderate the forum.

The Hispanic community is the fastest growing segment of the electorate, and currently 27 million Hispanics are eligible to vote. The candidates will focus on issues that are relevant to this demographic.

Early ticket distribution for the forum will begin on Aug. 29 at the information desk in the University Center. Tickets are required and are available on a first-come, first-served basis from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students must present their ‘Cane Cards at the desk.

UM also plans to host a republican candidate forum on Sep. 16. Additional information will be available in the coming weeks.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...