UM, Univision to host Democratic forum at BankUnited Center

On Sep. 9 the University of Miami will host the first presidential candidate forum designed specifically for Hispanic Americans.
Univision Communications Inc., the nation’s leading Spanish language media company, will broadcast the event during primetime using simultaneous Spanish translation. Maria Elena Salinas and Jorge Ramos, both award-winning Univision news anchors, will moderate the forum.

The Hispanic community is the fastest growing segment of the electorate, and currently 27 million Hispanics are eligible to vote. The candidates will focus on issues that are relevant to this demographic.

Early ticket distribution for the forum will begin on Aug. 29 at the information desk in the University Center. Tickets are required and are available on a first-come, first-served basis from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students must present their ‘Cane Cards at the desk.

UM also plans to host a republican candidate forum on Sep. 16. Additional information will be available in the coming weeks.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...