Team looking for new faces on the field

The hallowed red clay that was once the starting point for hundreds of major-leaguers’ careers and four national championships is accepting hopefuls for walk-on positions.

Miami’s baseball program is advertising the open spots-something that is not usually done-to attract students to try out for the 2007-2008 season.

“There are opportunities for some guys to make our team that I want known,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “We’ve had try-outs, usually later in November, but never really announced it [to the student body].”

The coaching staff is not looking for a specific number of players nor someone who can fulfill a specific role, essentially leaving everything up for grabs.

“[Making the team] depends on how good a player they are,” Morris said. “If they’re good, we’ll make a spot for them.”
According to Morris, the open positions do not reflect poorly on recruiting and are typical at this time of year.

“Because of NCAA scholarship limitations there are more and more opportunities for guys to play as walk-ons,” he said.

“Guys like Jay Tessmer who was a pitcher and Kevin Brown who I knew at Georgia Tech were walk-ons.”

Those interested in displaying their skills for Morris and his staff must first have a physical that is no more than six months old and speak with the Compliance office in the Hecht Athletic Center. The Compliance office will meet with interested candidates on Sept.7 or Sept. 14 at 2 p.m. to insure that NCAA regulations are met before the student can tryout.

According to the UM Athletics Compliance office, students will have to register with the NCAA Clearing House. Information about the requirements set by the NCAA can be found at ncaaclearinghouse.net.

The actual walk-on tryouts will be held Sept. 17 at 6 p.m.
“We’ll be evaluating the guys the same way we would if [we went to see them in a]game,” Morris said.

For more information about tryouts and meeting NCAA requirements, contact the Compliance office at 305-284-2692.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...