Team looking for new faces on the field

The hallowed red clay that was once the starting point for hundreds of major-leaguers’ careers and four national championships is accepting hopefuls for walk-on positions.

Miami’s baseball program is advertising the open spots-something that is not usually done-to attract students to try out for the 2007-2008 season.

“There are opportunities for some guys to make our team that I want known,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “We’ve had try-outs, usually later in November, but never really announced it [to the student body].”

The coaching staff is not looking for a specific number of players nor someone who can fulfill a specific role, essentially leaving everything up for grabs.

“[Making the team] depends on how good a player they are,” Morris said. “If they’re good, we’ll make a spot for them.”
According to Morris, the open positions do not reflect poorly on recruiting and are typical at this time of year.

“Because of NCAA scholarship limitations there are more and more opportunities for guys to play as walk-ons,” he said.

“Guys like Jay Tessmer who was a pitcher and Kevin Brown who I knew at Georgia Tech were walk-ons.”

Those interested in displaying their skills for Morris and his staff must first have a physical that is no more than six months old and speak with the Compliance office in the Hecht Athletic Center. The Compliance office will meet with interested candidates on Sept.7 or Sept. 14 at 2 p.m. to insure that NCAA regulations are met before the student can tryout.

According to the UM Athletics Compliance office, students will have to register with the NCAA Clearing House. Information about the requirements set by the NCAA can be found at ncaaclearinghouse.net.

The actual walk-on tryouts will be held Sept. 17 at 6 p.m.
“We’ll be evaluating the guys the same way we would if [we went to see them in a]game,” Morris said.

For more information about tryouts and meeting NCAA requirements, contact the Compliance office at 305-284-2692.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...