Team looking for new faces on the field

The hallowed red clay that was once the starting point for hundreds of major-leaguers’ careers and four national championships is accepting hopefuls for walk-on positions.

Miami’s baseball program is advertising the open spots-something that is not usually done-to attract students to try out for the 2007-2008 season.

“There are opportunities for some guys to make our team that I want known,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “We’ve had try-outs, usually later in November, but never really announced it [to the student body].”

The coaching staff is not looking for a specific number of players nor someone who can fulfill a specific role, essentially leaving everything up for grabs.

“[Making the team] depends on how good a player they are,” Morris said. “If they’re good, we’ll make a spot for them.”
According to Morris, the open positions do not reflect poorly on recruiting and are typical at this time of year.

“Because of NCAA scholarship limitations there are more and more opportunities for guys to play as walk-ons,” he said.

“Guys like Jay Tessmer who was a pitcher and Kevin Brown who I knew at Georgia Tech were walk-ons.”

Those interested in displaying their skills for Morris and his staff must first have a physical that is no more than six months old and speak with the Compliance office in the Hecht Athletic Center. The Compliance office will meet with interested candidates on Sept.7 or Sept. 14 at 2 p.m. to insure that NCAA regulations are met before the student can tryout.

According to the UM Athletics Compliance office, students will have to register with the NCAA Clearing House. Information about the requirements set by the NCAA can be found at ncaaclearinghouse.net.

The actual walk-on tryouts will be held Sept. 17 at 6 p.m.
“We’ll be evaluating the guys the same way we would if [we went to see them in a] game,” Morris said.

For more information about tryouts and meeting NCAA requirements, contact the Compliance office at 305-284-2692.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.