Team looking for new faces on the field

The hallowed red clay that was once the starting point for hundreds of major-leaguers’ careers and four national championships is accepting hopefuls for walk-on positions.

Miami’s baseball program is advertising the open spots-something that is not usually done-to attract students to try out for the 2007-2008 season.

“There are opportunities for some guys to make our team that I want known,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “We’ve had try-outs, usually later in November, but never really announced it [to the student body].”

The coaching staff is not looking for a specific number of players nor someone who can fulfill a specific role, essentially leaving everything up for grabs.

“[Making the team] depends on how good a player they are,” Morris said. “If they’re good, we’ll make a spot for them.”
According to Morris, the open positions do not reflect poorly on recruiting and are typical at this time of year.

“Because of NCAA scholarship limitations there are more and more opportunities for guys to play as walk-ons,” he said.

“Guys like Jay Tessmer who was a pitcher and Kevin Brown who I knew at Georgia Tech were walk-ons.”

Those interested in displaying their skills for Morris and his staff must first have a physical that is no more than six months old and speak with the Compliance office in the Hecht Athletic Center. The Compliance office will meet with interested candidates on Sept.7 or Sept. 14 at 2 p.m. to insure that NCAA regulations are met before the student can tryout.

According to the UM Athletics Compliance office, students will have to register with the NCAA Clearing House. Information about the requirements set by the NCAA can be found at ncaaclearinghouse.net.

The actual walk-on tryouts will be held Sept. 17 at 6 p.m.
“We’ll be evaluating the guys the same way we would if [we went to see them in a]game,” Morris said.

For more information about tryouts and meeting NCAA requirements, contact the Compliance office at 305-284-2692.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...