Team looking for new faces on the field

The hallowed red clay that was once the starting point for hundreds of major-leaguers’ careers and four national championships is accepting hopefuls for walk-on positions.

Miami’s baseball program is advertising the open spots-something that is not usually done-to attract students to try out for the 2007-2008 season.

“There are opportunities for some guys to make our team that I want known,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “We’ve had try-outs, usually later in November, but never really announced it [to the student body].”

The coaching staff is not looking for a specific number of players nor someone who can fulfill a specific role, essentially leaving everything up for grabs.

“[Making the team] depends on how good a player they are,” Morris said. “If they’re good, we’ll make a spot for them.”
According to Morris, the open positions do not reflect poorly on recruiting and are typical at this time of year.

“Because of NCAA scholarship limitations there are more and more opportunities for guys to play as walk-ons,” he said.

“Guys like Jay Tessmer who was a pitcher and Kevin Brown who I knew at Georgia Tech were walk-ons.”

Those interested in displaying their skills for Morris and his staff must first have a physical that is no more than six months old and speak with the Compliance office in the Hecht Athletic Center. The Compliance office will meet with interested candidates on Sept.7 or Sept. 14 at 2 p.m. to insure that NCAA regulations are met before the student can tryout.

According to the UM Athletics Compliance office, students will have to register with the NCAA Clearing House. Information about the requirements set by the NCAA can be found at ncaaclearinghouse.net.

The actual walk-on tryouts will be held Sept. 17 at 6 p.m.
“We’ll be evaluating the guys the same way we would if [we went to see them in a]game,” Morris said.

For more information about tryouts and meeting NCAA requirements, contact the Compliance office at 305-284-2692.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...