Open your mind to a real-life ‘beauty and the geek’

I need some help. I don’t want to sound mean, but God has gifted me with the awkward talent of attracting total weirdos. I’d like to think I’m a non-judgmental person, but I’m talking Magic-card-toting, Star-Trek-Convention-attending, World-of-Warcraft-addicted crazies. I’m not saying that any of these things are bad, or automatically classify someone as a dork, but they’re just not my cup of tea. I try not to encourage these guys too much, but I’ll admit that I have a hard time saying no to people.but I don’t watch Star Trek! I don’t want to read the poetry you wrote me, and I’m not particularly interested in watching you play Dungeons and Dragons. So I guess my question is.why do they like me? How can I get them to understand that I’m just not interested? Am I being a horrible person here?

Sincerely,

Utterly Confused

Dear Reader,

My goodness, if you weren’t so busy bashing Trekkies, maybe I could get a word in edgewise. Let’s be totally honest here, Miss “I’m a non-judgmental person.” We all judge-every single one of us-you, me, Donna Shalala, even the “total weirdos” you’re so concerned about. If you don’t judge, you might go home with the creepy 45-year-old man giving you the eye at Tavern on Thursday night. What I’m trying to say is, sometimes judgment is necessary in life. So while I truly advocate an open mind, don’t beat yourself up for a little criticism now and then-just try not to be a bitch about it.

As far as these boys go, at the very least you should be flattered that they’re so into you! In my experience, those who march to their own drummers tend to be attracted to the only truest of characters. Wow, that sounded corny. But have you ever seen a Dungeons and Dragons fan shacked up with a blonde sorority girl? (There I go judging again!) In other words, I’m guessing you’re a pretty nice gal. And that’s something to be proud of.

Unless you make some drastic changes (i.e. turn into aforementioned bitch), it sounds like these attractions aren’t going to be stopping any time soon. Instead of looking at this little quirk as an irritation, why not take it as a compliment? Instead of constantly trying to come up with awkward excuses when these boys ask you out (“Uh, I have to.wash my hair and.feed my chickens.”), why not accept an invite to go play video games or watch the latest Star Trek marathon? Despite your differing interests and hobbies, you may find yourself enjoying their company, so go warm up that X-Box!

Best of Luck!

Fact’o’the Day: In Newcastle, Wyoming, it’s illegal to have sex in a butcher shop’s meat freezer.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...