Hurricane volleyball gets off to record-setting start

After finishing 12-19 last season, the ‘Canes are looking for a new beginning with the Orange and Green Challenge. The Hurricanes began with a loss to Hofstra, 3-2 but rebounded by knocking off Jacksonville, 3-1, and Butler 3-1.

It was no surprise that the first two points scored by the ‘Canes against Hofstra came from preseason All-ACC player senior Ciara Michel. At the beginning of game one, the ‘Canes had jitters that led to six errors in the opening minutes. The errors set the tone for a game loss 30-26.

Following the entrance of senior Michelle Bruin in game two, the ‘Canes came alive. Miami began a run that the Pride couldn’t recoup and Miami to finished 30-24.

The Hurricanes continued their success in game three, defeating Hofstra 30-21.

The ‘Canes had nine errors in game four that allowed Hofstra to tie the series before winning game five to take the match.

Michel finished with 16 kills and six total blocks. Genny Mayhew achieved a career-high with 19 kills. Cassie Loessberg finished with a team-high 22 digs and her hustle is well deserved. Freshman Katie Gallagher finished with 53 assists and 16 digs in her first college game.

“It was very exciting,” Gallagher said. “Of course I was nervous at the beginning of the game but as the game went on I just played my game.”

The following day, the Hurricanes took on Jacksonville. The ‘Canes looked past their prior disappointment and crushed Jacksonville in games one and two (30-14, 30-24).

Jacksonville came back in game three, but could not clench a second victory and gave up the match to Miami. Loessberg sealed the match with a serving ace to give the Hurricanes their first win this season.

Both Maria Andersson and Mayhew finished the match with 13 kills. Michel ended the match with 12 kills and four total blocks. Junior Bridget Bomhack lead the team with 21 digs. Gallagher finished with a triple double with 40 assist, 19 digs and 11 serving aces.

On Saturday evening, the ‘Canes took on Butler in the final match of the Orange and Green Challange. The Canes stepped up their defense, which enabled them to take game one, 30-21.

Ten errors in game two forced Miami to a loss. The Hurricanes returned with great intensity beating Butler in games three and four (30-28, 30-23).

Michel finished the game with 11 kills and eight blocks. Andersson lead the team with 14 kills and Gallagher had 51 assists.

“I’m impressed with everybody’s play,” Michel said. “I think as a whole our team is coming along really well. We worked really hard in the preseason. It’s really showing on the court. ”
The defense set a school record of 90 digs.

“We have been stressing a lot of work on defense all preseason,” Lantagne Welch said.

Lantagne Welch is confident the Hurricanes’ success will continue this season through teamwork and dedication.

“This is team is extremely close,” Lantagne Welch said. “That’s one of the strengths of [our team]. They bonded really well. They work very well together.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...