Hurricane volleyball gets off to record-setting start

After finishing 12-19 last season, the ‘Canes are looking for a new beginning with the Orange and Green Challenge. The Hurricanes began with a loss to Hofstra, 3-2 but rebounded by knocking off Jacksonville, 3-1, and Butler 3-1.

It was no surprise that the first two points scored by the ‘Canes against Hofstra came from preseason All-ACC player senior Ciara Michel. At the beginning of game one, the ‘Canes had jitters that led to six errors in the opening minutes. The errors set the tone for a game loss 30-26.

Following the entrance of senior Michelle Bruin in game two, the ‘Canes came alive. Miami began a run that the Pride couldn’t recoup and Miami to finished 30-24.

The Hurricanes continued their success in game three, defeating Hofstra 30-21.

The ‘Canes had nine errors in game four that allowed Hofstra to tie the series before winning game five to take the match.

Michel finished with 16 kills and six total blocks. Genny Mayhew achieved a career-high with 19 kills. Cassie Loessberg finished with a team-high 22 digs and her hustle is well deserved. Freshman Katie Gallagher finished with 53 assists and 16 digs in her first college game.

“It was very exciting,” Gallagher said. “Of course I was nervous at the beginning of the game but as the game went on I just played my game.”

The following day, the Hurricanes took on Jacksonville. The ‘Canes looked past their prior disappointment and crushed Jacksonville in games one and two (30-14, 30-24).

Jacksonville came back in game three, but could not clench a second victory and gave up the match to Miami. Loessberg sealed the match with a serving ace to give the Hurricanes their first win this season.

Both Maria Andersson and Mayhew finished the match with 13 kills. Michel ended the match with 12 kills and four total blocks. Junior Bridget Bomhack lead the team with 21 digs. Gallagher finished with a triple double with 40 assist, 19 digs and 11 serving aces.

On Saturday evening, the ‘Canes took on Butler in the final match of the Orange and Green Challange. The Canes stepped up their defense, which enabled them to take game one, 30-21.

Ten errors in game two forced Miami to a loss. The Hurricanes returned with great intensity beating Butler in games three and four (30-28, 30-23).

Michel finished the game with 11 kills and eight blocks. Andersson lead the team with 14 kills and Gallagher had 51 assists.

“I’m impressed with everybody’s play,” Michel said. “I think as a whole our team is coming along really well. We worked really hard in the preseason. It’s really showing on the court. ”
The defense set a school record of 90 digs.

“We have been stressing a lot of work on defense all preseason,” Lantagne Welch said.

Lantagne Welch is confident the Hurricanes’ success will continue this season through teamwork and dedication.

“This is team is extremely close,” Lantagne Welch said. “That’s one of the strengths of [our team]. They bonded really well. They work very well together.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...