Former department chair, James M. Tien, named dean of College of Engineering

The University of Miami has named distinguished researcher James M. Tien dean of the College of Engineering.

Tien received his Ph.D. in systems engineering and operations research from MIT in 1972 and is the recipient of many prestigious teaching and research awards, including a membership to the National Academy of Engineering.

He has served as founding chair in the Department of Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems and professor in the Department of Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering. Tien said he is excited about his new role.

“With the commitment and support of President Shalala and Provost LeBlanc, I look forward to bringing more focus on those scholarly activities that can unite the academic areas of the University of Miami,” Tien said in a press release.

“I am enthusiastic about this opportunity to amplify the exceptional work of the students and faculty of the College of Engineering as the University itself evolves and excels.”

Tien will assume his post on September 1, replacing M. Lewis Temares.

The Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music has also appointed a new dean for the fall semester to replace William Hipp. Shelton G. Berg, former McCoy/Sample endowed professor of jazz studies in the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California, began his tenure on June 1.

Kelly Herson may be contacted at kelly.herson@gmail.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...