Former department chair, James M. Tien, named dean of College of Engineering

The University of Miami has named distinguished researcher James M. Tien dean of the College of Engineering.

Tien received his Ph.D. in systems engineering and operations research from MIT in 1972 and is the recipient of many prestigious teaching and research awards, including a membership to the National Academy of Engineering.

He has served as founding chair in the Department of Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems and professor in the Department of Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering. Tien said he is excited about his new role.

“With the commitment and support of President Shalala and Provost LeBlanc, I look forward to bringing more focus on those scholarly activities that can unite the academic areas of the University of Miami,” Tien said in a press release.

“I am enthusiastic about this opportunity to amplify the exceptional work of the students and faculty of the College of Engineering as the University itself evolves and excels.”

Tien will assume his post on September 1, replacing M. Lewis Temares.

The Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music has also appointed a new dean for the fall semester to replace William Hipp. Shelton G. Berg, former McCoy/Sample endowed professor of jazz studies in the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California, began his tenure on June 1.

Kelly Herson may be contacted at kelly.herson@gmail.com.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...