Former department chair, James M. Tien, named dean of College of Engineering

The University of Miami has named distinguished researcher James M. Tien dean of the College of Engineering.

Tien received his Ph.D. in systems engineering and operations research from MIT in 1972 and is the recipient of many prestigious teaching and research awards, including a membership to the National Academy of Engineering.

He has served as founding chair in the Department of Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems and professor in the Department of Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering. Tien said he is excited about his new role.

“With the commitment and support of President Shalala and Provost LeBlanc, I look forward to bringing more focus on those scholarly activities that can unite the academic areas of the University of Miami,” Tien said in a press release.

“I am enthusiastic about this opportunity to amplify the exceptional work of the students and faculty of the College of Engineering as the University itself evolves and excels.”

Tien will assume his post on September 1, replacing M. Lewis Temares.

The Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music has also appointed a new dean for the fall semester to replace William Hipp. Shelton G. Berg, former McCoy/Sample endowed professor of jazz studies in the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California, began his tenure on June 1.

Kelly Herson may be contacted at kelly.herson@gmail.com.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...