Former department chair, James M. Tien, named dean of College of Engineering

The University of Miami has named distinguished researcher James M. Tien dean of the College of Engineering.

Tien received his Ph.D. in systems engineering and operations research from MIT in 1972 and is the recipient of many prestigious teaching and research awards, including a membership to the National Academy of Engineering.

He has served as founding chair in the Department of Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems and professor in the Department of Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering. Tien said he is excited about his new role.

“With the commitment and support of President Shalala and Provost LeBlanc, I look forward to bringing more focus on those scholarly activities that can unite the academic areas of the University of Miami,” Tien said in a press release.

“I am enthusiastic about this opportunity to amplify the exceptional work of the students and faculty of the College of Engineering as the University itself evolves and excels.”

Tien will assume his post on September 1, replacing M. Lewis Temares.

The Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music has also appointed a new dean for the fall semester to replace William Hipp. Shelton G. Berg, former McCoy/Sample endowed professor of jazz studies in the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California, began his tenure on June 1.

Kelly Herson may be contacted at kelly.herson@gmail.com.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...