Fans rally in support of OB

A small but committed group of Hurricane fans met outside the Orange Bowl on Aug. 4, the opening salvo in a last-ditch campaign to save the aged stadium.

Approximately 65 fans gathered to protest the proposed move to Dolphin Stadium, The Miami Herald reported. But according to rally organizer Mike Mangini, the size is deceiving.

“Students and fans have been told since April that this was a ‘done deal,’ that all UM needed to do was sign on the dotted line,” said Mangini, a hospital worker who has owned season tickets at the Orange Bowl since the ’80s. “That detracted a lot of people from getting involved.”

Supporters hung signs from the white iron fence surrounding the stadium and marched along the sidewalk.

Mangini became involved as soon as the idea of moving was first proposed. “I just can’t imagine Miami not playing football in the Orange Bowl. It’s unfathomable.”

Mangini said he would support a move, if it were towards the campus; but tripling the travel time to a game is not a goal.

“Instead of moving forward, towards an on-campus facility, we’re moving backward and away,” he said. “It’s definitely going to hurt down the road.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...