Chartwells expands food options

With more than 35,000 meals per week served to more than 4,300 students, Chartwells and the University of Miami have joined together to provide new and healthy options for students.

In addition to visiting a farmers market or organic food suppliers such as Whole Foods, students can turn to Chartwells for organic and locally grown foods. New additions to nutrition programs include cage-free whole eggs, 100 percent trans fat-free soy oils in cooking, antibiotic-free pork, hamburgers made from natural beef, milk free of rBGH growth hormones (rBGH is a growth hormone injected into lactating cows so that they produce more milk) and locally grown produce such as fruits and vegetables.

By December 2007, pan-fried potatoes, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese and baked cookies, muffins and cakes will all be zero trans-fat.

Chartwell’s brewed coffee is now Fair Trade Certified, a label which benefits farmers and farm workers in developing countries. Also, Chartwells plans to only serve fish that appear on the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch “Best Choices” list.

“This is a joint effort of the university and Chartwells,” said Mel Tenen, assistant vice president of Auxiliary Services. “It’s a combination of an initiative by Chartwells, and UM expanding on that initiative. We want to be on the leading edge of university food service.”

Chartwells has also expanded the vegetarian concept of Terre Ve, now offering “made to order” food choices.
“We feel that the new program we present will become the framework for a lifetime of healthy eating habits,” Tenen said.
Many students are pleased with the new changes happening to university dining.

“The changes are long overdue,” Ana Griefen, junior, said. “It will set a good example for students and the community.”
Mark Haimes, a junior, is impressed by the direction of university food services.

“They’re going beyond what is required of them and doing a good job at it,” he said. “I’m loving the new food options.”
The members of Dining and Vending Services on campus encourage students to give feedback to Chartwells regarding new ideas and opinions.

“Many changes are a direct result of student feedback,” said Donald Koshis, director of Resident Dining.

More changes are planned for university dining in the upcoming year.

Scheduled for the summer of 2008, Chartwells plans to change the campus convenience store to the Whole U Market, which will offer fresh produce, a full-service kosher deli and organic products.

Ryan Watzel may be contacted at rwatzel@umsis.miami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...