Whitely celebrating ten years and counting as VPSA

For the past 10 years Patricia A. Whitely, the University of Miami’s vice president of Student Affairs, has overseen 140 staff members, 11 colleges and schools and more than 15,000 students. She is responsible for the residence halls, Wellness Center, health services, counseling services, international student services, Multicultural Student Affairs, career planning and placement, and Division of Student Life.

In addition to her role at UM, Whitely plays a role in the surrounding community. Whitely has served as the UM Chairperson for United Way for the past three years, and as the chairperson for the City of Coral Gables Community Relations Committee.

Whitely has received multiple honors, including induction into the Iron Arrow Honor Society.

Whitely received her Bachelor’s degree from St. John’s University, her Master’s degree from the University of South Carolina and her doctorate in higher education from the University of Miami.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...