Weird News: Kryptonite is real

Kryptonite is real

Geologists have found a mineral in Serbia that is virtually the same in chemical composition as the fictional kryptonite from outer space, used by the Superman’s nemesis Lex in the film “Superman Returns.” Dr. Chris Stanley, a mineralogist at London’s Natural History Museum who revealed the identity of the mysterious new mineral, discovered the match after searching the Internet for its chemical formula of sodium, lithium, boron, silicate, hydroxide; which is the same as Kryptonite. The substance has been confirmed as a new mineral after tests by scientists at the Natural History Museum in London. Instead of being comprised of green crystals as seen in Superman comics, the real kryptonite is a white, powdery substance, contains no fluorine and is non-radioactive. The mineral will be named Jadarite.

SO YOU WANNA BUY A DINOSAUR?

For sale: a 15,000-year-old Siberian mammoth skeleton. Christie’s auction house in Paris, which usually sells fine art and furniture, is hosting an unusual auction of paleontological curiosities, including several prehistoric mammals. Skeletons of a 10,000-year-old, 13.5-foot-long rhinoceros and a 7.5-foot-high cave bear are also going under the hammer. The skeletons are owned by a private collector, but buyers may include museums or artists. Bidders interested in buying the star specimen — a Siberian mammoth dubbed “The President” — will need at least $199,000 and a lot of floor space. Tusks and all, it’s 12.5 feet high and 16 feet long. The auction is also toasting modernity. For the first time at Christie’s in Paris, bidders will be able to remotely bid online. Christie’s Live, used for the first time in New York in July 2006, then in London and Amsterdam, allows users to “virtually” attend auctions.

American Eagle sues Payless

American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. is suing Payless ShoeSource, Inc. claiming it is producing shoes with a similar name: American Eagle. American Eagle Outfitters believes that the similarity in name confuses its consumers and in addition, Payless is misleading consumers by “portraying itself as the owner of ‘the youth fashion brand American Eagle.” American Eagle Outfitters is also accusing Payless of purposefully copying their advertising and promotional style, which they consider their most valuable asset.

HORSE LEAVES DEPOSIT IN GERMAN BANK

A German bank customer had a bit of a shock when he found a horse in line at the ATM in front of him. It seems the horse’s owner had a bit too much to drink the night before and decided to sleep it off inside the bank’s heated foyer, police said Tuesday. Confronted with the lack of a hitching-post, he brought the 6-year-old horse, named Sammy, in along with him. No charges were filed, but there might be some cleanup needed: Apparently Sammy made his own after-hours deposit on the carpet.

CANADA HATES TORONTO, APPARENTLY

The dislike of Canada’s biggest city, Toronto, in the rest of the country runs so deep that a filmmaker has made a documentary about it. “People in Toronto are soulless, one-eyed corporate zombies,” Joey Keithley, of the Vancouver punk band D.O.A., says in the film, “Let’s All Hate Toronto.” The 73-minute film follows a character called Mister Toronto, who embarks on a cross-Canada trip brandishing a sign that reads “Toronto Appreciation Day” and steels himself for the onslaught. One co-director of the film said collective dislike of a city is not unique to Canada, and said he might like to make similar films on other countries’ love-hate relationships with major cities.

*compiled by Martamaria Gomez

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...