University Village under new management starting July 26

POSTED JULY 24 AT 11:50 P.M.

One University Village “resident” will be saying goodbye to the apartment community this Thursday.

JPI, a Dallas-based firm that manages luxury and student residences around the country, has overseen the management of the Village for the past year. Starting July 26, the Department of Residence Halls will take over the management and operations of the Village, which began opening its newly constructed doors last September-a month and half after the expected date. The university has already taken over maintenance.

UM originally outsourced management of the Village in order to save money, said Gilbert Arias, assistant vice president for Student Affairs. Arias told The Miami Hurricane last week that JPI and UM have parted ways after “an amicable termination of the agreement.” He noted when the two parties initially signed the contract, both were given the option to leave the agreement after one year.

“It was a business decision to hire JPI because they had extensive experience,” Arias said. “We wanted students to feel like they were living in and renting their own apartments.”

In addition to leaving UM, Arias said JPI also plans to pull out of the entire on-campus student-living market. This will include communities at schools such as the University of Central Florida, Georgetown and University of California Los Angeles. Before this decision, JPI managed more than 202 properties and 52 student living communities, including the Village.

Arias said JPI did not give a specific reason as to why they decided to leave UM. The Hurricane contacted Stacie Mendelson, Village manager under JPI, but she said she could not disclose any information regarding the company’s recent decision.

Likewise, Sherry Green, a representative from JPI Student Living Corporate Headquarters said, “It is JPI’s policy that we do not give interviews.”
One noticeable change students will see with the handover to Residence Halls will be that students must call 8-CARE (8-2273) for maintenance problems, instead of the Village office.

Arias also said that, as of now, students will continue to sign a 12-month lease to live in the Village, but he will review certain polices and procedures regarding the Village, which may potentially affect the leasing term in the future.

Greg Linch also contributed to this report.

Karyn Meshbane is the News Editor and may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...