Trustee, former state legislator Kenneth Myers, 74

POSTED AUG. 5 AT 1 A.M.

Kenneth Myers, University of Miami trustee and former state legislator, died July 29 due to injuries sustained from a fall. He was 74.

Myers sat on the university’s Board of Trustees for 25 years, in addition to serving as the chairman of the Medical School Board of Overseers.

After earning his law degree at the University of Florida’s School of Law, Myers returned to Miami to work for Myers, Kenin, Levinson & Richards, a law firm founded by his father.

In addition to law, Myers earned his name in politics, representing Miami-Dade County in the Florida Legislature from 1964 to 1980. He later served in the House of Representative for four years and the Senate for 12 years.

University president Donna E. Shalala worked with Myers for six years.

“With Ken, when he made a commitment, he brought to it a passion and an enthusiasm, just good humor about everything he did,” she told The Miami Herald.

Myers is survived by his sister, Judy, his three nieces, two nephews and eight grandnieces and grandnephews.

Karyn Meshbane is the News Editor and may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...