Trustee, former state legislator Kenneth Myers, 74

POSTED AUG. 5 AT 1 A.M.

Kenneth Myers, University of Miami trustee and former state legislator, died July 29 due to injuries sustained from a fall. He was 74.

Myers sat on the university’s Board of Trustees for 25 years, in addition to serving as the chairman of the Medical School Board of Overseers.

After earning his law degree at the University of Florida’s School of Law, Myers returned to Miami to work for Myers, Kenin, Levinson & Richards, a law firm founded by his father.

In addition to law, Myers earned his name in politics, representing Miami-Dade County in the Florida Legislature from 1964 to 1980. He later served in the House of Representative for four years and the Senate for 12 years.

University president Donna E. Shalala worked with Myers for six years.

“With Ken, when he made a commitment, he brought to it a passion and an enthusiasm, just good humor about everything he did,” she told The Miami Herald.

Myers is survived by his sister, Judy, his three nieces, two nephews and eight grandnieces and grandnephews.

Karyn Meshbane is the News Editor and may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...