Tennis: It’s deja vu all over again

The Miami Hurricanes faced a familiar foe on Sunday in the ACC Championship. After all, the ‘Canes lost to the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in two previous ACC finals. Unfortunately for them, the result was familiar as well. Miami fell to the No. 5-ranked Yellow Jackets 4-1.

The day started off well as Miami took the doubles point 2-1. The victories came at the number one and three spots, with Audrey Banada and Gina Sabatino defeating Tarryn Rudman and Kirsten Flower 8-2. The match could have been a shutout, if not for an upset by Audra Cohen and Laura Vallverdu. The No. 33-ranked pair defeated the No. 3-ranked team of Kristi Miller and Whitney McCray.

After the doubles point, it was all downhill for Miami, starting off by the upset of No. 50-ranked Audrey Banada. She was taken down by Amanda Craddock, ranked No. 74, 6-3, 6-2.

The biggest weapon the ‘Canes had was junior Audra Cohen, the No. 1-ranked player in the country, who was announced as the ACC player of the year for the second straight year. The upsets continued on Thursday, as Cohen was handed her first loss of the regular season, by No. 8-ranked Kristi Miller, 7-5, 6-2.

After a 6-1, 6-1 loss by Miami’s Romy Farah to Amanda McDowell, it was all up to Caren Seenauth. After taking the first set, however, Seenauth couldn’t hold back Christy Striplin, 3-6, 6-0, 6-1. The flight and the match was lost, and Georgia Tech claimed their third straight ACC Championship, all of them over the ‘Canes.

“It’s difficult when you come up short three years in a row, obviously,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We didn’t play to our capability at the positions where we lost, but Georgia Tech had something to do with that.”

Miami lived on the edge for three days, beginning on Friday after the ‘Canes were granted a first-round bye. Weather threatened their first match, but after surviving the elements, they barely survived the Florida State Seminoles, 4-3. The victory was assured in the final flight, when junior Gina Sabatino downed FSU’s Tapiwa Marobela 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, in the only match of the day that went into a third set.

The nail biting continued Saturday, as Miami was the beneficiary of another 4-3 decision, this time over the Clemson Tigers. After losing the doubles point, Miami took four of six singles flights, capped off by Caren Seenauth’s victory over Marie Brito in a third-set tiebreak, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4).

“The ACC conference is so strong that I really believe that we are a better team today then we were Thursday, going in to play our first round,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “That’s what we have to take out of the tournament. We’re a better, more prepared team.”

While it is incredibly unlikely they won’t be chosen, the ‘Canes now await the selections into the NCAA tournament. Miami will be looking to see whether or not they will host a regional match at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Team selections will be announced on Tuesday, May 1 at 2:30 on ESPNews. The team will gather and watch the selection, either at the Hecht Athletic Center, or at Yaroshuk-Tews’ house.

“We’ll get together as a team and, for about a half-hour, celebrate all of the hard work we’ve put in and pat each other on the back,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “And then get back at it.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...