Paul Dee to step down in June 2008

Posted May 8 at 8 p.m.

The University of Miami announced May 9 that Paul Dee, athletic director since 1993, will step down on June 1, 2008.

Dee, who has spent 27 years with the athletic department, plans on joining the faculty at the school.

“I thank him for his extraordinary service to the university,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala in a statement. “His measured, full and thoughtful advice to the leadership of this university has been unmatched.”

Dee has seen the expansion of facilities on campus, from the construction of the BankUnited Center to the ongoing renovations of Mark Light field. The school has also added three women’s sports: rowing, volleyball and soccer.

Dee began his tenure during the school’s probation years and the reemergence at the beginning of this decade. But he and the school have received criticism recently after recent setbacks to the university’s image, such as last season’s football brawl.

The biggest move of his tenure has yet to unfold, as the university has yet to decide on where to play football in the future. The decision, which is likely to be made sometime this month, will likely make the biggest impact on the Dee administration.

Before joining the university, Dee worked at the Miami law firm of Mershon, Sawyer, Johnston, Dunwoody & Cole. He also served as a law clerk for Chief U.S. District Judge Charles Fulton in Miami.

Dee received his Bachelor’s of Arts degree from the University of Florida in 1970, his Master’s of education from the University of Miami in 1973 and his juris doctor degree from UM in 1977.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The following is a statement released by University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.

Paul Dee, after 27 years of leadership in two critical positions, first as general counsel, then as athletic director, has decided to step down at the end of the next academic year.

I thank him for his extraordinary service to the university. I’m pleased that he will be joining the faculty and look forward to his continued wise counsel. His measured, full and thoughtful advice to the leadership of this university has been unmatched.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...