Paul Dee to step down in June 2008

Posted May 8 at 8 p.m.

The University of Miami announced May 9 that Paul Dee, athletic director since 1993, will step down on June 1, 2008.

Dee, who has spent 27 years with the athletic department, plans on joining the faculty at the school.

“I thank him for his extraordinary service to the university,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala in a statement. “His measured, full and thoughtful advice to the leadership of this university has been unmatched.”

Dee has seen the expansion of facilities on campus, from the construction of the BankUnited Center to the ongoing renovations of Mark Light field. The school has also added three women’s sports: rowing, volleyball and soccer.

Dee began his tenure during the school’s probation years and the reemergence at the beginning of this decade. But he and the school have received criticism recently after recent setbacks to the university’s image, such as last season’s football brawl.

The biggest move of his tenure has yet to unfold, as the university has yet to decide on where to play football in the future. The decision, which is likely to be made sometime this month, will likely make the biggest impact on the Dee administration.

Before joining the university, Dee worked at the Miami law firm of Mershon, Sawyer, Johnston, Dunwoody & Cole. He also served as a law clerk for Chief U.S. District Judge Charles Fulton in Miami.

Dee received his Bachelor’s of Arts degree from the University of Florida in 1970, his Master’s of education from the University of Miami in 1973 and his juris doctor degree from UM in 1977.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The following is a statement released by University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.

Paul Dee, after 27 years of leadership in two critical positions, first as general counsel, then as athletic director, has decided to step down at the end of the next academic year.

I thank him for his extraordinary service to the university. I’m pleased that he will be joining the faculty and look forward to his continued wise counsel. His measured, full and thoughtful advice to the leadership of this university has been unmatched.

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

Check out the latest issue of Hurricane Magazine, featuring stories on Canes football, basketball, s ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...