News Briefs: University of Miami chooses new dean of Graduate School

UMNews

University of Miami chooses new dean of Graduate School

Terri A. Scandura, who joined the university in 1990, was recently named Dean of the Graduate School. Currently, Scandura is a professor of management in the School of Business, but with her new role she will oversee more than 5,000 graduate students and 150 various programs in the university’s 12 schools and colleges.

Scandura brings to UM a Ph.D. in organizational behavior from the School of Business Administration at the University of Cincinnati, and years of teaching experience in Executive MBA programs.

In 2006, Scandura was inducted into Iron Arrow Honor Society and she was also honored with the University of Miami School of Business Excellence in Research Award.

ELSEWhere

Former NYC mayor compares past wars with today’s

Travis Robinson // The Battalion (Texas A&M)

(U-WIRE) COLLEGE STATION – Rudolph Giuliani said the War on Terror is the great challenge of this generation and is no less of a feat than World War II was for the greatest generation.

Giuliani, a Republican presidential candidate and the mayor of New York City during the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, spoke about the war on terrorism and the United States’ role in fighting that war as a speaker at Texas A&M University on Friday.

“The best kind of defense is a good offense,” Giuliani said throughout the speech. Giuliani said the biggest problem with the approach to terrorism before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, was that the United States didn’t realize that terrorists were waging a war against America.

“Sometimes we’d respond, sometimes we wouldn’t,” Giuliani said.

Before Sept. 11, Giuliani said we had a defensive approach to terror.

“We convinced terrorists in the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s that being terrorists was a good-risk reward crime,” he said.

Giuliani opposed the timetable the Democrat-controlled Congress is pushing, saying that their approach to terrorism is tentative and defensive. He said among the first to get it right about handling terrorism is President George W. Bush, because his decision to take an offensive approach to terrorism saved the United States.

“In the long history of war, can you ever remember a time where an army decided to retreat, and then printed up a schedule and handed it to the enemy? Does that make any sense? Does that have any logic to it?” Giuliani asked.

Giuliani also said from his experience of interrogating the Mafia as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, he believes in the need for the Patriot Act and the legal yet aggressive use of electronic surveillance.

He said the war is winnable because freedom is the basis of the United States’ power. “I’m an optimist,” he said. “I’m someone who believes the way to focus on America is that America can do it. When your strength comes from freedom, you ultimately defeat those whose impetus comes from oppression.”

ETC.

The University of Miami’s office of International Education and Exchange Programs (IEEP) will move back into Allen Hall 212 starting April 30.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...