News Briefs: University of Miami chooses new dean of Graduate School

UMNews

University of Miami chooses new dean of Graduate School

Terri A. Scandura, who joined the university in 1990, was recently named Dean of the Graduate School. Currently, Scandura is a professor of management in the School of Business, but with her new role she will oversee more than 5,000 graduate students and 150 various programs in the university’s 12 schools and colleges.

Scandura brings to UM a Ph.D. in organizational behavior from the School of Business Administration at the University of Cincinnati, and years of teaching experience in Executive MBA programs.

In 2006, Scandura was inducted into Iron Arrow Honor Society and she was also honored with the University of Miami School of Business Excellence in Research Award.

ELSEWhere

Former NYC mayor compares past wars with today’s

Travis Robinson // The Battalion (Texas A&M)

(U-WIRE) COLLEGE STATION – Rudolph Giuliani said the War on Terror is the great challenge of this generation and is no less of a feat than World War II was for the greatest generation.

Giuliani, a Republican presidential candidate and the mayor of New York City during the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, spoke about the war on terrorism and the United States’ role in fighting that war as a speaker at Texas A&M University on Friday.

“The best kind of defense is a good offense,” Giuliani said throughout the speech. Giuliani said the biggest problem with the approach to terrorism before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, was that the United States didn’t realize that terrorists were waging a war against America.

“Sometimes we’d respond, sometimes we wouldn’t,” Giuliani said.

Before Sept. 11, Giuliani said we had a defensive approach to terror.

“We convinced terrorists in the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s that being terrorists was a good-risk reward crime,” he said.

Giuliani opposed the timetable the Democrat-controlled Congress is pushing, saying that their approach to terrorism is tentative and defensive. He said among the first to get it right about handling terrorism is President George W. Bush, because his decision to take an offensive approach to terrorism saved the United States.

“In the long history of war, can you ever remember a time where an army decided to retreat, and then printed up a schedule and handed it to the enemy? Does that make any sense? Does that have any logic to it?” Giuliani asked.

Giuliani also said from his experience of interrogating the Mafia as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, he believes in the need for the Patriot Act and the legal yet aggressive use of electronic surveillance.

He said the war is winnable because freedom is the basis of the United States’ power. “I’m an optimist,” he said. “I’m someone who believes the way to focus on America is that America can do it. When your strength comes from freedom, you ultimately defeat those whose impetus comes from oppression.”

ETC.

The University of Miami’s office of International Education and Exchange Programs (IEEP) will move back into Allen Hall 212 starting April 30.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...