News Briefs: University of Miami chooses new dean of Graduate School

UMNews

University of Miami chooses new dean of Graduate School

Terri A. Scandura, who joined the university in 1990, was recently named Dean of the Graduate School. Currently, Scandura is a professor of management in the School of Business, but with her new role she will oversee more than 5,000 graduate students and 150 various programs in the university’s 12 schools and colleges.

Scandura brings to UM a Ph.D. in organizational behavior from the School of Business Administration at the University of Cincinnati, and years of teaching experience in Executive MBA programs.

In 2006, Scandura was inducted into Iron Arrow Honor Society and she was also honored with the University of Miami School of Business Excellence in Research Award.

ELSEWhere

Former NYC mayor compares past wars with today’s

Travis Robinson // The Battalion (Texas A&M)

(U-WIRE) COLLEGE STATION – Rudolph Giuliani said the War on Terror is the great challenge of this generation and is no less of a feat than World War II was for the greatest generation.

Giuliani, a Republican presidential candidate and the mayor of New York City during the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, spoke about the war on terrorism and the United States’ role in fighting that war as a speaker at Texas A&M University on Friday.

“The best kind of defense is a good offense,” Giuliani said throughout the speech. Giuliani said the biggest problem with the approach to terrorism before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, was that the United States didn’t realize that terrorists were waging a war against America.

“Sometimes we’d respond, sometimes we wouldn’t,” Giuliani said.

Before Sept. 11, Giuliani said we had a defensive approach to terror.

“We convinced terrorists in the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s that being terrorists was a good-risk reward crime,” he said.

Giuliani opposed the timetable the Democrat-controlled Congress is pushing, saying that their approach to terrorism is tentative and defensive. He said among the first to get it right about handling terrorism is President George W. Bush, because his decision to take an offensive approach to terrorism saved the United States.

“In the long history of war, can you ever remember a time where an army decided to retreat, and then printed up a schedule and handed it to the enemy? Does that make any sense? Does that have any logic to it?” Giuliani asked.

Giuliani also said from his experience of interrogating the Mafia as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, he believes in the need for the Patriot Act and the legal yet aggressive use of electronic surveillance.

He said the war is winnable because freedom is the basis of the United States’ power. “I’m an optimist,” he said. “I’m someone who believes the way to focus on America is that America can do it. When your strength comes from freedom, you ultimately defeat those whose impetus comes from oppression.”

ETC.

The University of Miami’s office of International Education and Exchange Programs (IEEP) will move back into Allen Hall 212 starting April 30.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...