Miami Herald: Marve out for season

POSTED JULY 18 8:15 P.M.

Freshman recruit Robert Marve suffered an injury to his non-throwing hand in an accident on Alligator Alley early Monday morning, according to The Miami Herald.

The Herald also reported the following: Marve was in the back seat when driver and teammate Jermaine McKenzie, also a freshman, fell asleep at the wheel. The car hit a guardrail and rolled several times before coming to a stop. Marve received lacerations on his left hand.

Authorities charged McKenzie with careless driving. Though he suffered neck injuries, McKenzie’s father, John, said his son will likely resume football activity within the next few months.

Another teammate in the car, sophomore linebacker Colin McCarthy, walked away without any serious injuries.

Florida Highway Patrol said that alcohol was not a factor, the AP reported.

Marve, a recruit out of Tampa Plant High School, was the state’s Mr. Football for 2006, and was expected to be a contender for the team’s starting quarterback position. Now, Marve’s father said his son will likely redshirt for the 2007 season.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...