Miami-Dade Police: No developments in Pata homicide case

While the investigation into the murder of Hurricane football player Bryan Pata is still active, Miami-Dade police officials say there are no new developments to report in the case.

A senior and criminology major, Pata, 22, was likely to be selected in the third round of the upcoming NFL Draft. He was shot and killed outside his Kendall apartment complex on the night of Nov. 7. Police ruled the death a homicide.

In comments made to the Palm Beach Post, witness Adrenia Lynes said she saw Pata arguing with the shooter in the parking lot outside his residence. By her account, Pata walked away from the argument and the man shot him in the back of the head. Police reported that Pata was shot multiple times.

Media reaction varied across the country. MSNBC commentator Mike Celizic suggested that the Miami football program cancelled bowl game participation in the wake of the murder, which came near the end of a season already tainted by an on-field brawl in a game against FIU.

Similar sentiments were expressed on the ESPN show “Around the Horn” by pundits Tim Cowlishaw and Jay Mariotti.

The local reaction differed considerably.

The Miami Herald and the Coral Gables Gazette both ran multiple stories about community memorials for Pata, and The Herald and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel both featured columnists who stressed focusing on the personal and societal tragedy rather than the repercussions for the rest of the season.

Dan Le Batard, a Herald columnist and University of Miami graduate, included the Hurricane football program in a column that discussed the difficulty of changing reputations in the world of sports. He suggested that the public perception of the team was unfair.

The university itself was also subject to criticism in the aftermath of Pata’s death. A New York Times story on his murder and the reaction to it ran with the headline “Miami Slaying: Answers? Few. Reward Money? Not Very Much.”

The amount of reward money has since been increased from $1,000 to $21,000, with at least $15,000 coming from donations made by UM supporters and employees. The university also contributed $10,000 to funeral costs and donated $10,000 in proceeds from t-shirt sales to Pata’s family.

After the murder took place the family hired private investigators, who told NBC 6 they were following leads that Pata had received death threats and had been involved in a nightclub brawl.

In December, The Boston Globe reported that Boston police arrested Jerome Brody, the twin brother of Pata’s live-in girlfriend Jada, in the investigation of a gang-related shooting.

The Globe also suggested that Brody’s motive to kill Pata may have stemmed from his belief that Pata mistreated Jada.

Jada Brody, who has since transferred to Clemson, refuted the allegations, saying her brother had nothing to do with Pata’s murder.

Nate Harris may be contacted at n.harris2@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...