Hurricanes to leave Orange Bowl

POSTED AUG. 21 AT 10:49 A.M.

Dolphin Stadium will be the new home for Hurricane football, the executive committee of the University of Miami’s Board of Trustees decided Tuesday.

The move follows years of discussing stadium renovations with the city of Miami, the owner of the Orange Bowl, and more recently by talks between the university and Dolphin Stadium owner, H. Wayne Huizinga.

After a long courtship, including a tour of the stadium by Student Government members, the move seemed to be a “done deal” by many. Earlier this month, however, it appeared that the city and the university were moving closer together on a deal. Now the university has committed to the move north.

The university has received criticism from some fans, arguing that the move will create problems getting to and from games. Dolphin Stadium, located at the Dade-Broward County line, is approximately 22 miles away from campus. The Orange Bowl is approximately seven.

Financial considerations were speculated factor for the move, as it is estimated the university could receive $1.5 million annually in additional revenue from concessions, parking and luxury seating, something the school does not receive at the Orange Bowl.

The Hurricanes began playing in the Orange Bowl in 1937, then Burdine Stadium. The NFL’s Miami Dolphins left in 1986 for Dolphin Stadium-formerly Joe Robbie Stadium-and the Orange Bowl game followed in 1995. Left without a tenant, the move would have likely led to the stadium’s demolition.

Matthew Bunch is a Senior Sports Writer may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane will feature a special page on the Orange Bowl move on Aug. 27, the first issue of the new academic year. Please be sure to pick up a copy or view the coverage online.

In addition to covering the move and keeping readers updated, The Hurricane encourages all of its readers to weigh in either by commenting on the story, posting a discussion message at www.thehurricaneonline.com/messageboard or sending a letter to the editor.

To send a letter to the editor, please visit thehurricaneonline.com/letters or email letters@themiamihurricane.com.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...