Hurricanes to leave Orange Bowl

POSTED AUG. 21 AT 10:49 A.M.

Dolphin Stadium will be the new home for Hurricane football, the executive committee of the University of Miami’s Board of Trustees decided Tuesday.

The move follows years of discussing stadium renovations with the city of Miami, the owner of the Orange Bowl, and more recently by talks between the university and Dolphin Stadium owner, H. Wayne Huizinga.

After a long courtship, including a tour of the stadium by Student Government members, the move seemed to be a “done deal” by many. Earlier this month, however, it appeared that the city and the university were moving closer together on a deal. Now the university has committed to the move north.

The university has received criticism from some fans, arguing that the move will create problems getting to and from games. Dolphin Stadium, located at the Dade-Broward County line, is approximately 22 miles away from campus. The Orange Bowl is approximately seven.

Financial considerations were speculated factor for the move, as it is estimated the university could receive $1.5 million annually in additional revenue from concessions, parking and luxury seating, something the school does not receive at the Orange Bowl.

The Hurricanes began playing in the Orange Bowl in 1937, then Burdine Stadium. The NFL’s Miami Dolphins left in 1986 for Dolphin Stadium-formerly Joe Robbie Stadium-and the Orange Bowl game followed in 1995. Left without a tenant, the move would have likely led to the stadium’s demolition.

Matthew Bunch is a Senior Sports Writer may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane will feature a special page on the Orange Bowl move on Aug. 27, the first issue of the new academic year. Please be sure to pick up a copy or view the coverage online.

In addition to covering the move and keeping readers updated, The Hurricane encourages all of its readers to weigh in either by commenting on the story, posting a discussion message at www.thehurricaneonline.com/messageboard or sending a letter to the editor.

To send a letter to the editor, please visit thehurricaneonline.com/letters or email letters@themiamihurricane.com.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...