Faculty Senate elects 2007-08 chair, vice chairs

The University of Miami Faculty Senate reelected Stephen Sapp, professor and chair of the Department of Religious Studies, for the 2007-2008 term.

The vote, which took place May 2, also saw the election of Sherrill Hayes, professor and chair of the Department of Physical Therapy, as first vice chair and Rene Sacasas, professor and chair of the Department of Business Law, as second vice chair.

The Faculty Senate, which deals with academic policies, new program and degree approvals, annual budgets, faculty grievances, and chair and dean reviews, meets once a month during the academic year.

Senate officials are elected annually, while senators from each school are elected for three year terms.

A current list of faculty senators, meeting dates and contact information may be found at www.miami.edu/FacultySenate.

Kelly Herson may be contacted at k.herson@umiami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...