Weird News: New Zealand plans to fill volcano with human waste

New Zealand plans to fill volcano with human waste

New Zealand has come up with a new idea for getting rid of tons of human waste without having to create new landfills: Auckland plans on filling one of its many extinct volcanoes with sewage. Watercare Services has signed a $25 million, 30-year deal with Puketutu Island owners to dump 61 tons of biosolids produced by the Mangere treatment plant each week. Not to worry though, the dried human waste will be cleaned and treated before being dumped on a side of the volcanic island that has been desolate in the past 50 years. Auckland University volcano-ologist Ian Smith said Aucklanders need not be concerned that they would be showered in “biosolids” in the event of an eruption.

New Technology allows changing other people’s ring tone

Emotive’s new product, the patent-pending “Push Ringer,” reverses the common ring tone model by enabling a caller to push an outgoing ring tone to the receiving phone; allowing the caller, not the called person, to set the tone. The chosen ringer is transmitted to the recipient’s handset and temporarily overrides the phone’s pre-set ringer but the called person has the option of purchasing the new ring tone if they like it. Emotive hopes this technology will help make calls more personalized and since its launch on Skype’s VOIP network in 2006, Push Ringer (known to Skype users as “Ringjacker”) has been installed more than 800,000 times.

Japanese mothers turn lunchboxes into WORKS OF ART

Using tweezers, razor knives, and digital cameras, Japanese house moms everywhere are joining in the new craze of creating a unique culinary style of school lunches. For example, rice gets colored with egg yolks into the shape of a dinosaur, eyes are made of sliced cheese and strips of seaweed and star-shaped pieces of okra adorn the belly. Lunch-box art marries the age-old Japanese appreciation for precision and aesthetics with the country’s modern, shrinking, affluent nuclear family, where fewer children mean moms have more time and money to lavish on their little emperors. Nursery schools typically require children to bring home-cooked lunches and some wives make them for husbands. Housewives have taken their lunchbox exhibitions online, where Internet journals feature up-to-date photos of the latest works.

-Compiled by Martamaria Gomez

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...