Track and Field: ‘Canes clean up at ACC Outdoor Championships

The University of Miami track and field continued right where they left off. The ‘Canes came in hot to the 2007 ACC Outdoor Championships, and they remained that way for the duration of the competition.

The Hurricane women, who have not fallen short of dazzling on the track and in the field this season, put together a solid performance, on their way to an overall second place finish.

Helping the Hurricanes’ cause was senior Amy Seward, who grabbed the ACC title in the heptathlon. Additionally, senior Brenda Faluade, freshman Deandra Doyley and Seward took first, second and third, respectively, in the long jump.

Junior Khadija Talley continued her dominance in the field events, where she earned the ACC championship in the discus. Additionally, sophomore Krista Simkins captured the women’s 200-meter event.

Senior Ginou Etienne took second in the women’s 400-meter event, while Simkins took second in the 100-meter dash. The Lady ‘Canes also grabbed a second place finish in the 4X100-meter relay. The squa’s 4X400-meter relay team also did their part, finishing in second.

On the men’s side, the Hurricanes finished in 10th place overall. Although, they did not have as strong a showing as the Hurricane women, they did put together an admiral performance.

Junior Tim Harris helped the Hurricanes’ effort with a first place finish in the men’s 800-meters. Also contributing to the effort was senior Roland DaSilva, who placed fourth in the decathlon.

“The ACC is emerging into an elite track conference,” Florida State men’s Head Coach Bob Braman said. “Some of it is adding good teams like Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College, but the whole conference has just improved. This meet is a reflection of just that. We have had some phenomenal performances on a national scale, and that is where I like to see our conference.”

Braman highlights a trend that is becoming abundantly clear, that the ACC is emerging as a dominant force in track and field. Taking this into consideration, the efforts of Miami’s men’s and women’s squads even more impressive. The Hurricanes will look to continue their success at the Penn Relays, furthering their efforts for NCAA glory.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...