Track and Field: ‘Canes clean up at ACC Outdoor Championships

The University of Miami track and field continued right where they left off. The ‘Canes came in hot to the 2007 ACC Outdoor Championships, and they remained that way for the duration of the competition.

The Hurricane women, who have not fallen short of dazzling on the track and in the field this season, put together a solid performance, on their way to an overall second place finish.

Helping the Hurricanes’ cause was senior Amy Seward, who grabbed the ACC title in the heptathlon. Additionally, senior Brenda Faluade, freshman Deandra Doyley and Seward took first, second and third, respectively, in the long jump.

Junior Khadija Talley continued her dominance in the field events, where she earned the ACC championship in the discus. Additionally, sophomore Krista Simkins captured the women’s 200-meter event.

Senior Ginou Etienne took second in the women’s 400-meter event, while Simkins took second in the 100-meter dash. The Lady ‘Canes also grabbed a second place finish in the 4X100-meter relay. The squa’s 4X400-meter relay team also did their part, finishing in second.

On the men’s side, the Hurricanes finished in 10th place overall. Although, they did not have as strong a showing as the Hurricane women, they did put together an admiral performance.

Junior Tim Harris helped the Hurricanes’ effort with a first place finish in the men’s 800-meters. Also contributing to the effort was senior Roland DaSilva, who placed fourth in the decathlon.

“The ACC is emerging into an elite track conference,” Florida State men’s Head Coach Bob Braman said. “Some of it is adding good teams like Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College, but the whole conference has just improved. This meet is a reflection of just that. We have had some phenomenal performances on a national scale, and that is where I like to see our conference.”

Braman highlights a trend that is becoming abundantly clear, that the ACC is emerging as a dominant force in track and field. Taking this into consideration, the efforts of Miami’s men’s and women’s squads even more impressive. The Hurricanes will look to continue their success at the Penn Relays, furthering their efforts for NCAA glory.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...