Track and Field: ‘Canes clean up at ACC Outdoor Championships

The University of Miami track and field continued right where they left off. The ‘Canes came in hot to the 2007 ACC Outdoor Championships, and they remained that way for the duration of the competition.

The Hurricane women, who have not fallen short of dazzling on the track and in the field this season, put together a solid performance, on their way to an overall second place finish.

Helping the Hurricanes’ cause was senior Amy Seward, who grabbed the ACC title in the heptathlon. Additionally, senior Brenda Faluade, freshman Deandra Doyley and Seward took first, second and third, respectively, in the long jump.

Junior Khadija Talley continued her dominance in the field events, where she earned the ACC championship in the discus. Additionally, sophomore Krista Simkins captured the women’s 200-meter event.

Senior Ginou Etienne took second in the women’s 400-meter event, while Simkins took second in the 100-meter dash. The Lady ‘Canes also grabbed a second place finish in the 4X100-meter relay. The squa’s 4X400-meter relay team also did their part, finishing in second.

On the men’s side, the Hurricanes finished in 10th place overall. Although, they did not have as strong a showing as the Hurricane women, they did put together an admiral performance.

Junior Tim Harris helped the Hurricanes’ effort with a first place finish in the men’s 800-meters. Also contributing to the effort was senior Roland DaSilva, who placed fourth in the decathlon.

“The ACC is emerging into an elite track conference,” Florida State men’s Head Coach Bob Braman said. “Some of it is adding good teams like Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College, but the whole conference has just improved. This meet is a reflection of just that. We have had some phenomenal performances on a national scale, and that is where I like to see our conference.”

Braman highlights a trend that is becoming abundantly clear, that the ACC is emerging as a dominant force in track and field. Taking this into consideration, the efforts of Miami’s men’s and women’s squads even more impressive. The Hurricanes will look to continue their success at the Penn Relays, furthering their efforts for NCAA glory.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...