Students display work at university forum

Roughly 130 University of Miami students gathered Wednesday to present their work at the 11th annual Citizens Board Research and Creativity Forum.

At the event, graduate and undergraduate researchers had the chance to compete for cash prizes and receive feedback from more than 120 faculty judges from across the university.

For graduate researchers, the forum is a chance to get exposure for their research.

Nicole Zahka, a fourth-year psychology graduate student, displayed her work on campus before presenting it at two major psychology conferences. She sees the forum as a valuable chance to feel a sense of community among other researchers from across the university.

“There is so much great research going on at UM,” Zahka said.

Many undergraduates got their first taste the research process the forum.

Patricia Coronado and Diego Saer presented their plans for a flying car as part of their senior design project.

“I think that the students really want this,” said Fellipe Duran, chair of the forum’s student organizing committee. “They feel that this is a great way for them to learn presentation techniques, and at the same time network [in the research community].”

Faculty judges were present to judge the competing projects and to offer feedback and encouragement to student researchers.

“Every student, starting from the undergraduate level, should start doing some research, whatever their interest,” said Dr. Wedad Kassira, a forum judge and research assistant professor at the Miller School of Medicine. “Research should be part of their education. It is not like you need a degree to start.”

As the winning researchers were announced, event organizers noted the heightened significance of research and learning in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings.

William Green, dean of undergraduate education, commented on the significance of the event.

“Today, unfortunately, is one of those days in which the importance of making the world intelligible.couldn’t be more graphic or poignant.”

James Remeika may be contacted at j.remeika@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...