Students display work at university forum

Roughly 130 University of Miami students gathered Wednesday to present their work at the 11th annual Citizens Board Research and Creativity Forum.

At the event, graduate and undergraduate researchers had the chance to compete for cash prizes and receive feedback from more than 120 faculty judges from across the university.

For graduate researchers, the forum is a chance to get exposure for their research.

Nicole Zahka, a fourth-year psychology graduate student, displayed her work on campus before presenting it at two major psychology conferences. She sees the forum as a valuable chance to feel a sense of community among other researchers from across the university.

“There is so much great research going on at UM,” Zahka said.

Many undergraduates got their first taste the research process the forum.

Patricia Coronado and Diego Saer presented their plans for a flying car as part of their senior design project.

“I think that the students really want this,” said Fellipe Duran, chair of the forum’s student organizing committee. “They feel that this is a great way for them to learn presentation techniques, and at the same time network [in the research community].”

Faculty judges were present to judge the competing projects and to offer feedback and encouragement to student researchers.

“Every student, starting from the undergraduate level, should start doing some research, whatever their interest,” said Dr. Wedad Kassira, a forum judge and research assistant professor at the Miller School of Medicine. “Research should be part of their education. It is not like you need a degree to start.”

As the winning researchers were announced, event organizers noted the heightened significance of research and learning in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings.

William Green, dean of undergraduate education, commented on the significance of the event.

“Today, unfortunately, is one of those days in which the importance of making the world intelligible.couldn’t be more graphic or poignant.”

James Remeika may be contacted at j.remeika@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...