Sports Briefs

Men’s and Women’s Tennis: Cohen, D’Agord, others honoered by ACC

The nation’s top-ranked player, junior Audra Cohen, was awarded her second straight Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis Player of the Year honor. Joining Cohen on the list of honors are senior Audrey Banada and freshman Laura Vallverdu, who earned spots on the All-ACC Women’s Tennis Team.

On the men’s side, senior Luigi D’Agord captured his second straight Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Year honor. Joining D’Agord on the men’s side was sophomore Daniel Vallverdu, who tallied his second straight All-ACC Men’s Tennis Team honor.

Women’s Tennis: Miami advances to semifinals

The No. 4-seeded Miami Hurricanes’ women’s tennis squad advanced to the semifinals of the ACC Championships. The Lady Hurricanes out-dueled No. 5-seeded Florida State 4-3, on their way to facing No. 1-seeded Clemson.

The Hurricanes grabbed the doubles point behind good play from the pairs of Audra Cohen and Laura Vallverdu and Audrey Banada and Gina Sabatino. The Hurricanes also got singles wins from Cohen, Banada and Sabatino.

Men’s Tennis: Hurricanes fall to Virginia

The University of Miami Hurricanes’ men’s tennis team’s run at the ACC Championships ended when they faced off against Virginia. The No. 8-seeded Hurricanes started the tournament with a first round matchup against Georgia Tech.

The Hurricanes downed the No. 9-seeded Yellow Jackets 4-3, behind strong singles play from Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Josh Cohen. Besides picking up points for each singles win, the Hurricanes also won the doubles point, as the doubles pairs of D’Agord and Cohen and J.C. Whitner and Hector Nieto both captured wins.

The second round was not so friendly to the Hurricanes, as they faced No. 1-seeded Virginia. The quarterfinals saw the Hurricanes downed 4-1. The Hurricanes lost the doubles point, as only Hector Nieto and J. C. Whitner picked up a win.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...