Sports Briefs

Men’s and Women’s Tennis: Cohen, D’Agord, others honoered by ACC

The nation’s top-ranked player, junior Audra Cohen, was awarded her second straight Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis Player of the Year honor. Joining Cohen on the list of honors are senior Audrey Banada and freshman Laura Vallverdu, who earned spots on the All-ACC Women’s Tennis Team.

On the men’s side, senior Luigi D’Agord captured his second straight Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Year honor. Joining D’Agord on the men’s side was sophomore Daniel Vallverdu, who tallied his second straight All-ACC Men’s Tennis Team honor.

Women’s Tennis: Miami advances to semifinals

The No. 4-seeded Miami Hurricanes’ women’s tennis squad advanced to the semifinals of the ACC Championships. The Lady Hurricanes out-dueled No. 5-seeded Florida State 4-3, on their way to facing No. 1-seeded Clemson.

The Hurricanes grabbed the doubles point behind good play from the pairs of Audra Cohen and Laura Vallverdu and Audrey Banada and Gina Sabatino. The Hurricanes also got singles wins from Cohen, Banada and Sabatino.

Men’s Tennis: Hurricanes fall to Virginia

The University of Miami Hurricanes’ men’s tennis team’s run at the ACC Championships ended when they faced off against Virginia. The No. 8-seeded Hurricanes started the tournament with a first round matchup against Georgia Tech.

The Hurricanes downed the No. 9-seeded Yellow Jackets 4-3, behind strong singles play from Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Josh Cohen. Besides picking up points for each singles win, the Hurricanes also won the doubles point, as the doubles pairs of D’Agord and Cohen and J.C. Whitner and Hector Nieto both captured wins.

The second round was not so friendly to the Hurricanes, as they faced No. 1-seeded Virginia. The quarterfinals saw the Hurricanes downed 4-1. The Hurricanes lost the doubles point, as only Hector Nieto and J. C. Whitner picked up a win.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...