Search for Hipp replacement

The search for a new dean for the Frost School of Music began in September 2006 following Dean William Hipp’s announcement of his plans to retire after serving in the post since 1983.

A search committee was put together of six faculty members and one student from the school of music, one from the drama department and one from engineering. Michael Halleran, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, heads the committee.

A search firm was also enlisted to find candidates. President Donna E. Shalala and Provost Thomas LeBlanc will make the final decision.

“The music school at UM is one of the best in the country,” Halleran said. “Dean Hipp has done a lot to make it what it is, so you want someone who can retain the level it’s at now, but also help the school move forward.”

Halleran declined to comment on the strongest contenders, but a recent Miami Herald article confirmed music critic and author Tim Page as one of the four finalists.

Although Hipp has met with all the finalists, he is not playing a role in the selection process.

Halleran said he was unsure of when to expect an announcement regarding the final selection, but said he “fully anticipates a decision to be made before next semester.”

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...