Search for Hipp replacement

The search for a new dean for the Frost School of Music began in September 2006 following Dean William Hipp’s announcement of his plans to retire after serving in the post since 1983.

A search committee was put together of six faculty members and one student from the school of music, one from the drama department and one from engineering. Michael Halleran, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, heads the committee.

A search firm was also enlisted to find candidates. President Donna E. Shalala and Provost Thomas LeBlanc will make the final decision.

“The music school at UM is one of the best in the country,” Halleran said. “Dean Hipp has done a lot to make it what it is, so you want someone who can retain the level it’s at now, but also help the school move forward.”

Halleran declined to comment on the strongest contenders, but a recent Miami Herald article confirmed music critic and author Tim Page as one of the four finalists.

Although Hipp has met with all the finalists, he is not playing a role in the selection process.

Halleran said he was unsure of when to expect an announcement regarding the final selection, but said he “fully anticipates a decision to be made before next semester.”

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...