Nursing school on probation

The University of Miami’s School of Nursing and Health Studies was put on probation by the State of Florida’s nursing board after scoring low on professional exams and “cheating issues” reported by the university.

According to the state’s Program Evaluation Site Visit Report, obtained from The Miami Herald’s website, only 72.9 percent of UM nursing students passed the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX). The board’s standard is 10 percent below the national average, or 79.06 percent.

Laurie Reinhardt-Plotnik, the nursing school’s director for development, said the NCLEX is updated every four years, and the recent dip can be credited to the change in the test.

The document also included reports of cheating on nursing exams. The university has responded by installing cameras in every classroom which can watch every student during an exam.

“This has been in the pipeline for many years,” Plotnik said of the issues. “Dean [Nilda] Peragallo was brought in by the administration to deal with these problems.”

Enrollment has doubled since 2003, in an attempt to deal with a nationwide nursing shortage. The attempt to expand apparently backfired, as infrastructure wasn’t in place, and the school struggled to deal with the new students. The report criticizes the university for using too many part-time faculty members.

The school, founded in 1948, was South Florida’s first baccalaureate nursing program. The M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing and Health Studies, which now houses the school, opened at the beginning of the semester.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...