Nursing school on probation

The University of Miami’s School of Nursing and Health Studies was put on probation by the State of Florida’s nursing board after scoring low on professional exams and “cheating issues” reported by the university.

According to the state’s Program Evaluation Site Visit Report, obtained from The Miami Herald’s website, only 72.9 percent of UM nursing students passed the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX). The board’s standard is 10 percent below the national average, or 79.06 percent.

Laurie Reinhardt-Plotnik, the nursing school’s director for development, said the NCLEX is updated every four years, and the recent dip can be credited to the change in the test.

The document also included reports of cheating on nursing exams. The university has responded by installing cameras in every classroom which can watch every student during an exam.

“This has been in the pipeline for many years,” Plotnik said of the issues. “Dean [Nilda] Peragallo was brought in by the administration to deal with these problems.”

Enrollment has doubled since 2003, in an attempt to deal with a nationwide nursing shortage. The attempt to expand apparently backfired, as infrastructure wasn’t in place, and the school struggled to deal with the new students. The report criticizes the university for using too many part-time faculty members.

The school, founded in 1948, was South Florida’s first baccalaureate nursing program. The M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing and Health Studies, which now houses the school, opened at the beginning of the semester.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...