New VP of UM Comms named

Jacqueline R. Menendez, the current village manager of Key Biscayne, has been named the new vice president for University Communications.

As village manager, Menendez has been responsible for directing a large workforce, a multi-million dollar operating budget and a capital inventory of $60 million for the community of 11,000 residents. In her new role as vice president of University Communications, Menendez will oversee media, marketing and community relations-all part of the university’s communication efforts.

“Jackie Menendez has worked in a number of different capacities addressing communications in her career, starting as a news reporter, a county spokesperson and serving as senior administrator in local government agencies managing community and crisis management issues,” said Sergio M. Gonzalez, vice president for University Advancement, in a press release.

Menendez, who was named by Vanidades magazine as one of the 40 Most Influential Hispanic Women in the U.S., will take her post on June 18.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...