Engineering dean stepping down

For the last 13 years M. Lewis Temares has been the dean of the College of Engineering and the vice president of information technology (his original position upon arriving at UM).

Now, Temares has decided to step down from his role as dean, for he believes a dean should only hold his position for eight to 10 years. He said as times change, new leaders are required to go along with new changes.

“I came at a time when the engineering college needed some organization, direction and refocus,” Temares said. “I think [the school]now needs to go toward a new focus.”

Temares also said that Provost Thomas LeBlanc and President Donna E. Shalala want to place UM on the list of top 20 leading universities in the American Association of Universities. The AAU is an organization comprised of 60 leading research universities in the United States.

In addition, Temares said the new dean will focus more on academics in contrast to administrative issues, which was his focus.

Though Temares is stepping down from his role as dean, he will still keep his title as vice president of IT. Also, he will continue to serve as dean until a successor is agreed upon for fall semester.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...