Engineering dean stepping down

For the last 13 years M. Lewis Temares has been the dean of the College of Engineering and the vice president of information technology (his original position upon arriving at UM).

Now, Temares has decided to step down from his role as dean, for he believes a dean should only hold his position for eight to 10 years. He said as times change, new leaders are required to go along with new changes.

“I came at a time when the engineering college needed some organization, direction and refocus,” Temares said. “I think [the school]now needs to go toward a new focus.”

Temares also said that Provost Thomas LeBlanc and President Donna E. Shalala want to place UM on the list of top 20 leading universities in the American Association of Universities. The AAU is an organization comprised of 60 leading research universities in the United States.

In addition, Temares said the new dean will focus more on academics in contrast to administrative issues, which was his focus.

Though Temares is stepping down from his role as dean, he will still keep his title as vice president of IT. Also, he will continue to serve as dean until a successor is agreed upon for fall semester.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...