Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis: ‘Canes unable to take care of business

The men’s tennis team ended their regular season with a loss to the No. 24 NC State Wolfpack. The loss was the fifth in six tries for the ‘Canes, and it lowered the team to 10-12 on the season and 5-6 in ACC play.

The Hurricanes started out by taking the doubles point, behind victories from the No. 1 doubles position of Luigi D’Agord and Josh Cohen and the No. 3 doubles position of Hector Nieto and J.C. Whitner. Despite this, the ‘Canes were outdueled in singles play, as only D’Agord and Barnabas Carrega could manage to pull out wins.

Women’s Golf: ‘Canes finish up at ACC Championships

The University of Miami women’s golf team concluded play at the 2007 ACC Championships, finishing in eighth place.

As a team, the Hurricanes shot a first round 325, a second round 315 and a third round 324. Junior Jessica Steward led the way for the Hurricanes, as she fired a 233. Following her were Tiffany Prats with 236, Hagen Weintraub with 244, Anabelle Paulino with 251 and Josie Shinn with 273.

Recruiting: Women’s basketball hard at work

The University of Miami women’s basketball program and Head Coach Katie Meier recently signed Vitalija Vasciunaite, Latoya Drake and Diane Barnes to National Letter of intent to play next season.

Vasciunite is a shooting guard from Virginia who averaged 21.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists, as she led her team to a 22-2 record. Additionally, Vasciunite is part of the Lithuanian national team. Drake is a transfer from Florida Community College in Jacksonville. Last season, she earned Honorable Mention All-America Team honors. The forward/center averaged 19.6 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game. Barnes, a transfer from Trinity Valley Community College in Texas, is a 6-2 forward averaging better than 10 points per game.

With the signing of these three athletes, the signing of three athletes earlier in November and some veteran leadership coming back, the Hurricanes look poised to have a strong season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...