Players, team react to tragedy

While the Miami Hurricane baseball team prepares for another tough weekend on the road in the ACC this weekend, one cannot help but notice a somewhat distracted mood in the dugout. Needless to say, the tragedy that took place on Monday at Virginia Tech, in which a student opened fire on classmates and professors, has left some players pondering things other than baseball.

“Our prayers and thoughts are with them,” first baseman Yonder Alonso said. “It is just so hard to believe. I am sure their guys are thinking about it today and will be for the rest of the year. It is one of the worst things that ever happened in the country, so it is hard to deal with.”

While the ‘Canes will travel to Blacksburg for a three game series this weekend, it is clear that the events have now become somber, and once again the role of sports as a healing power in America will be taken on.

“It is hard for them to have to deal with it, but I feel like one of the best things is to play the game,” Alonso said.

The kinship felt between ballplayers at any two schools is generally strong, but this series is full of personal connections.

Alonso said that he is good friends with the Hokies’ catcher and sent him an email as soon as he heard what had happened. The situation also hit home for starting pitcher Enrique Garcia, who said that he has close friends at the school whom he was frightened for.

However, Garcia seems to share Alonso’s opinion, which also seems to be the team consensus, that the series is a good thing.

“I am excited for the series,” Garcia said. “I think it will definitely help to play, not just for the players, but as a nice distraction for the whole community.”

Head Coach Jim Morris will present a signed banner and $10,000 check for the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund. The team is also having special wristbands made for the series and will travel with extra security.

Dan Stein may be reached at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...