News Briefs

UMNews

Global warming study shows decrease in hurricane activity

New research by the Rosenstial School of Marine and Atmospheric Science suggests that increased wind shear in the Atlantic Ocean may inhibit hurricane development. This is unique, because previous studies have linked global warming to an increase in hurricane activity.

The authors of the study examined 18 different climate models and assessed the impact of human-related greenhouse warming on hurricane activity. Although researchers found that hurricane intensity may decrease in the Atlantic, the Pacific may see increased intensification.

ELSEWhere

Holocaust survivor slain at Virginia Tech

David Grant // THE Collegiate Times (Va Tech)

(U-WIRE) BLACKSBURG – Professor Liviu Librescu was slight of build and long of tooth, Stephen Schuler said. The sophomore engineering major (who had skipped Librescu’s class Monday morning) was shocked when he first heard that his professor had thrown himself at the door of his Norris classroom, instructing his students to flee out the windows while he held off Cho Seung Hui, the 23-year old shooter who police say terrorized the Virginia Tech campus Monday.

The 76-year-old engineering science and mechanics professor was one of the tales of heroism early Monday. He was also one of 32 fatalities.

For Caroline Merrey, a senior engineering major, the entire horrific sequence flashed by.

“We heard gunshots in the hall and as they were coming closer a student stuck his head out the door and saw what was happening. The next thing I know I’m leaning out the window and Professor Librescru was against the door,” Merrey said. “I really don’t think me or my other classmates would be here if it wasn’t for him.”

Merrey, who landed on her back after jumping from a Norris Hall second-story window, sustained only minor injuries.

The Jersualem Post reported that Librescu and his father were deported by the Nazis at the onset of World War II; Librescu was sent to a Russian work camp. Saved by local townspeople, Librescu, a Romanian Jew by birth, became a scientist but struggled under the oppressive regime of Nicolae Ceaucescu until his 1978 immigration to Israel. Librescu came to Virginia during a 1986 sabbatical. He never left.

“He’s a Holocaust survivor. He’s a man who survived one of the worst atrocities in human history only to be gunned down by somebody in his own classroom. It doesn’t make sense. I don’t even know if there’s a word for it. It’s one of these events that makes you think that life is unjust,” said Matt Frank, a junior interdisciplinary studies major and Hillel’s vice president of religion.

Tragically, Librescu lost his life on Yom HaShoah, the day on which Jews all over the world memorialize the Holocaust.

The local Jewish community honored Librescu, among others at a Yizkor, a Jewish memorial service for the departed, Tuesday night.

ETC.

New Mandarin Chinese courses will be offered in the fall semester. The courses are designed to develop basic speaking, listening, and reading and writing skills, along with the phonetic system and basic grammar and conversation. Interested students should contact the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures (305-284-5585) to make an appointment in August for placement in this course.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...