Lake Osceola event follows Shalala affirming commitment to environment

Sporting bright orange T-shirts, hundreds of University of Miami students, faculty, and staff “hugged” Lake Osceola at the center of campus early Wednesday afternoon. A strand of approximately 500 people joined hands and stretched to cover nearly the entire perimeter of the lake.

Before surrounding the lake, the group congregated on the UC Patio, where President Donna E. Shalala signed two environmental documents. By signing the Talloires Declaration and the Presidents Climate Commitment, Shalala hopes to “lead the way for other universities.”

“My signatory today is to commit all of us-not just the president of the university, all of us-to make sure we follow best practices wherever we are on this earth,” she said.

A burst of applause marked Shalala’s signature of the documents, which have been signed by hundreds of other university presidents and chancellors to symbolize commitment to environmental sustainability.

Student organizations Earth Alert, Greenpeace UM, the Marine and Atmospheric Science Honor Society, Sustainable U and Society of Scientists were present

Jenny Burrows of Sustainable U was pleased with the day’s events but wants students to continue actively supporting the environment. She added that students should be more mindful of limiting use of water and electricity in on-campus housing.

“They don’t pay for it, so they’re not seeing how much they’re actually wasting,” she said.

After students hugged the lake, photographers stationed atop Hecht Residential College’s McDonald Tower documented the event and Shalala was handed a microphone for closing remarks.

“Let’s do something special for our friends at Virginia Tech,” she said.

In honor of the university recently struck by tragedy, Shalala led a hearty “Let’s Go Hokies” cheer that echoed across the lake.

Afterwards, the large group filed back to the patio, where they were served pizza as university mascot Sebastian circulated, offering thumbs-up to the participants.

Hunter Umphrey may by contact at humphrey@miami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...