Baseball: Team travels to mourning Blacksburg

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Blacksburg, VA, this weekend to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies in a three-game series.

While the game will certainly take on a more serious undertone than once thought, the Hurricanes will try to prepare for the series as they would for any other series. The mood will certainly be somber, but the ‘Canes know that they still have games to play and problems to work on as a baseball team.

After coming into last weekend having won seven of nine games, the Hurricanes dropped their series to the North Carolina State Wolfpack two games to one, including their biggest loss of the season on Sunday, a 19-9 debacle.

“The main thing is that we made errors on Friday and pitched poorly on Sunday,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “We could’ve and probably should’ve won on Friday. We just got smoked on Sunday because we pitched badly and got in a deep hole and couldn’t climb out of it.”

Pitching has been inconsistent all year, but after four straight strong starts by Scott Maine and a dominant complete game from Enrique Garcia on Saturday, the staff is heading in the right direction. One thing that has hurt them the past two weekends has been the absence of staff ace Eric Erickson, who Morris said will likely be on the mound on Sunday.

“Scott’s thrown good the last four times out, but we have to get him the run support to win,” Morris said. “He hasn’t won in the last four weeks, but he certainly has pitched well enough to win all four games.”

Besides the return of Erickson, which will help alleviate the strain on the bullpen, the ‘Canes also expect the return of second baseman Jemile Weeks this weekend. Weeks will not only provide his usual stellar defense at second base (always a boon to the pitching staff), he will also provide a spark at the top of the order. Adding Weeks to the hot bats of fellow sophomores Yonder Alonso, Dennis Raben and Blake Tekotte could be what the Hurricanes need to go on an extended run to close the regular season.

“It really doesn’t mean anything if I have a good day if we lose,” said Alonso, who leads the team in homeruns, RBI, batting average and stolen bases. “We do a good job as teammates of keeping each other focused. We have to go get some wins, because that is what matters here.”

As for last weekend, the ‘Canes believe that a short memory is an asset when it comes to thinking about previous games, whether it is a victory or a loss.

“We just need to practice and get better,” Alonso said. “Everyday we have to get better just like coach says. We are young and we make a lot of mistakes but we have to get past it. We have to keep learning and get ready for Virginia Tech.”

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...