Stop beating that drum

Although the semi-annual Iron Arrow tap-in ceremony has well passed, I still find the status of their highly-exclusive society to be well worth discussion. Each time I see them roaming the campus in utter sanctity, the disturbance that resides in the bowels of my brain is pushed just that much closer to the surface.

What is it that keeps me from getting down on my knees and kissing the ground that their feet have treaded upon? What is it that keeps me from spouting desire from every part of my being to be a part of the upper echelons of the UM community that embodies the ideals we strive for? What prevents me from wanting to wear pseudo-Native American shirts and beating an old drum from the music school that seems to imply “we. are.so much better.than you” twice a year?

Maybe it’s because I don’t believe that a society trying to embrace an ideal such as humility should be trotting around campus showing off their all-honorable status as leaders of value and character. Maybe it’s because the little respect I did have for them was lost when they made fun of gays symbolically getting married on the rock. Or maybe it’s because when someone stole their holy bird bath in an attempt to show campus dissent against their existence, they proceeded to get an obnoxiously larger one.

Whatever it is that keeps me up late at night fantasizing about what a world without Iron Arrow would be like, it shows that something is wrong with this campus and much of society at large. Too often, are we pushed by the awards and rewards that we hope to attain in the future. We think that when someone is tapped into an honor society, they automatically embody the ideals that such a society supposedly represents. We continually make judgments about others based on the number of medals pinned to their uniform rather than their daily courses of action.

If Iron Arrow members were truly humble leaders, they would be able to recognize their honor without outside approval. A true leader doesn’t gloat about his achievements.

I certainly understand that those who are chosen to be a part of the society are nominated by others, which does legitimize the process to a certain degree. However, I think that a nominee truly emitting honor would reject the invitation due to their own personal acknowledgement and confidence in their dedication to society, school, and self. The ideals that Iron Arrow preaches (love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship, and humility) should not be flagrantly celebrated, but put into practice.

Iron Arrow should promote these ideals in positive ways rather than pretentiously waving them around. It is when changes such as this occur that our student body have confidence in our school as a source of these values.

Miles Kenney-Lazar is a sophomore majoring in geography and international studies. He may be be contacted at the Iron Arrow bird bath or m.kenneylazar@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...