Culture

Steve Porter starts a new genre

Massachusetts native Steve Porter is bringing his own unique blend of house music into the scene. Seeing a gap between electronic music, a style catered to a certain niche, and mainstream music, Porter has noticed the elements of house that seem to alienate newcomers: mainly, that it’s too repetitive. Indeed, house tracks drag on anywhere from 4 minutes to over 10, usually featuring the same 4/4 drum kick and the same basslines repeating themselves throughout – something fans readily accept.

Porter didn’t. He sought to bridge this gap by reducing the repetitive element, making the style more accessible to those out of the loop. And through his skills as a DJ and producer, he not only eliminated did this, but also blended together several styles of house to produce a distinctly unique mixing style, dubbed “Porterhouse.”

The first thing house aficionados will notice about “Porterhouse” is the incredibly short length of the tracks: instead of 4-10 minutes, Porter’s tracks average 2-3 minutes, with two tracks even running less than a minute. In Porter’s own words, he does this to focus on the heart and soul of the music.

The other thing fans will notice is how great the tracks themselves sound, and how seamlessly they mix together. Notable tracks include “Buster,” “Holding On,” and “Jealousy,” as well as Porter’s own “Pixy Stix” and “Momento Pacifico.”

Unfortunately, it’s through these great tracks that Porter’s album shows it’s main weakness: while the short lengths will no doubt appeal to newcomers who shy away from musical repetition, house heads will gripe at them.

In spite of this, however, each individual track, short as it is, weaves perfectly into the larger album, like a jigsaw piece fitting into the larger picture. Played from start to finish, this two-disc offering is sure to get you moving, and surprise you at every turn.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...